Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-06-2003, 06:50 AM

Tim,

I think you answered your own question in a thread posted a long time ago--as a venture capitalist, you wouldn't touch poetry publishing. If one isn't rich (and I am not), a small press publisher has two business models to choose from: contests or non-profit status. Each has risks. Contests risk perpetuating a system that isn't really very popular with authors, while non-profit status insures an endless paper chase for grant funds. Nonetheless, in large part because it is more stable, we have chosen to focus on contests.

By the way, we have invested in titles outside of contests, and we do not require authors who have already published with us to re-enter contests. We would like to develop relationships with our authors so they do not have to run that gauntlet again. But even these projects are supported indirectly by the funds that contests generate.

I'm very sorry that you are not able to continue your relationship with Story Line. I've heard some tales about what's going on with them these days, but nothing reliable since their board changed a couple of years ago. Are they even still in business?

Kevin

------------------
Kevin Walzer
http://home.fuse.net/walzer
Unread 03-06-2003, 12:54 PM

Holy cow, Rhina, you're writing books faster than I'm writing poems!

Congrats, again.
Unread 03-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Honorary Poet Lariat

I'm sorry, Kevin, that I gave the wrong name for the contest sponsor: too much excitement in too few days!

Paul, it's not that I write them so fast but that I've been doing it for so long! What I find wonderful--in addition to publishers who like formal verse!--is the fact that the excitement never wears off, whether it's the joy of sensing that you have a poem nagging at your consciousness, or the other joy of having it appear somewhere to nag at somebody else's. I've been very lucky, not least in the group of poets I've come to know: remarkable, as people and as poets.
Unread 03-09-2003, 01:22 AM

You know, Rhina, if they just gave you all the prizes as soon as you let them know your book was finished, it would save them all that bother of having to read other manuscripts. Congratulations!

J. Bottum
Unread 03-09-2003, 09:26 AM

Congrats, Rhina. It's good to have more of your work out.