Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 06-14-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
We can't know for sure, of course, but I think (and hope) that Bill will be reading our comments.
Well...his last activity, according to his profile, was when he made this thread on June 11th, so unless he's reading while logged out (always possible), then he's probably gone. I do find it a bit off-putting when someone makes an "I'm leaving" post, however -- there's always a whiff of prima donna to it. If you need to take a break from a forum, or feel you're completely done with a forum, I've never understood the need to draw attention to that fact. That being said...

Quote:
Bill can return at any time he chooses, and I sincerely hope that whatever caused him to abandon the Sphere will dissolve away, and be forgotten.
Amen to that.
Unread 06-14-2017, 06:07 AM
Distinguished Guest

First, I apologize for hijacking this thread a bit because for me, as I have thought about it, it's really not about Bill or some other particular person who has stormed out.

Aristotle argued we do not release anger by venting it, and over time I have decided he is right.

I think Erato members would be happier & healthier if 90% of our posts were arguments about how to scan a troublesome line or the merits of Anthony Hecht versus Marilyn Hacker rather than snarkiness about Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Teresa May or Patty Griffin. If those kinds of arguments about those kinds of people are vital to you, social media offers just short of a bazillion flame wars you can join.

Let me be clear too, that I am not denigrating political activism. I was an activist most of my life and I respect people who go out and work for what they believe in, even if it is very different from what I believe in. It's ranting disconnected to action that gets very tiresome & crowds out other valuable interactions.

Thanks.
Unread 06-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Distinguished Guest

Good words, Michael, good words. Unfortunately, even when one shuts down the aggressive, abusive, and violent on one's social media outlets, they commonly seek out a forum such as this, to get attention, and continue their campaigns of aggressiveness, abuse, and violence.

I know whereof I speak.

J
Unread 06-14-2017, 10:13 PM

Bad riddance to good rubbish.
Unread 06-15-2017, 06:46 PM

Don't come back.
Unread 06-15-2017, 07:15 PM

He's implied that he doesn't want to be here because he disapproves of the views held by most of the people he finds here. That's fine. He's entitled to his own opinion. But I don't know why the people he finds so personally offensive should beg him to return and hold his nose and tolerate us as best he can so we can share our views with him about whether this or that line is missing a beat. If he wants to go, fine. If he doesn't, also fine. But he's not owed an apology for disapproving of us.
Unread 06-15-2017, 10:19 PM

I've left here a few times but neglected to announce that. So I keep coming back. It is just too interesting here. And I learn a lot. I know it is not good form to lurk here and announce a poem in The Asses of Parnassus from time to time, but I find that I'm not good at critiquing. We should keep General Talk, lots of good points made and interesting bad points.

And I should learn how to update my profile so that you know that I've been living in NC for the last ten years or so.
Unread 06-16-2017, 06:26 AM

Leaving this case aside, I’m very worried about the invective and demonization in political discourse in the US. From all appearances, what happened in Virginia was a politically motivated assassination attempt. Michael Gerson in the WaPo has a good opinion piece on it here. Worth quoting: We are on a descending path of enmity.

Another site I frequent has seen a marked increase in trolling in the last two years. The trolls have earned names like “the Civil War Troll” and “the Deplorables Troll”. I block them, but they’re crafty and they reappear. There are people out there committed to sowing distrust, hatred, and even war between Americans.

I don’t have an answer other than to repeat the obvious truth that we have to start talking to each other civilly again about political differences. Washington has to re-discover compromise. No, we don’t have to; but if we don’t, we’ll continue on the descending path of enmity. Who can say where it ends? For a moment this week, this truth seemed to strike our representatives in DC. Maybe gunfire aimed at you focuses the mind.
Unread 06-16-2017, 08:12 AM

I agree in principle, Michael, but when someone tells me that they fully support legislation that will deprive me of my health care and deprive my disabled son of Medicaid support he will need to survive, it's hard for me to view it as just another perfectly acceptable point of view. The idea that we shouldn't take anything personally when we discuss politics doesn't really hold water when the issues directly and personally affect you in dramatically important ways that actually involve life or death.
Unread 06-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I don’t have an answer other than to repeat the obvious truth that we have to start talking to each other civilly again about political differences.
Partisan media makes this increasingly impossible to do. There are billions and billions of dollars made off of making people politically irrational. Fox News is responsible for 70% of News Corps. profits. It is very difficult to find anyone to discuss public affairs rationally whether it be on social media, poetry boards, or in person.
Closed Thread