Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 03-23-2017, 02:08 PM

Despite being a good Berkeley liberal, I do sort of agree with John here: we don't have to discuss this topic, sure, but let's not pretend that this man's actions weren't in some way connected with his ideology. That's not pan Islam in general or anything like that; just to say that—what should really be obvious at this point—a certain branch of fanatical Islam is attracting lots of nuts. For good reason. (Just as the church attracts some nuts, too!)

Edit: Cross-posted with Adam. Perhaps John (and I?) are reacting a bit to the idea that, by pointing out ideological motivations, we somehow want to "hate and bait".

Edit 2: Obviously Charlie's post was offensive and counterproductive. But the idea behind it—that we should acknowledge ideology as part of the cause of crazy actions—is not an altogether crazy idea.

Last edited by Ian Hoffman; 03-23-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Unread 03-23-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Whitworth View Post
Roger and Adam with the greatest respect (as my father used to say befre he was very rude) you don't want to discuss anything with anyone except those who agree with you.
I didn't know there was any proposition in dispute at the moment. We're all against the attack, I presume. My only objection was trying (and failing) to turn it into a showcase for humor and wit.

And why did you direct your comment just to me and Adam when Ann kicked things off by saying Charlie's post was "vile" and ought to be moved to D&A?
Unread 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM

Indeed I did, Roger. And I thank you for highlighting, in your first response, what it was that I found vile about it. The initial post has grown since my first comment and is now, more than ever, crying out to be moved to a forum more suited to its peculiar presentation.
Unread 03-23-2017, 03:22 PM

it is so typical of some here to want to move unpleasant subjects to less read forums where the general public may not go to read, unusual or no. It has been my experience to have seen and read and participated in a good many threads I felt were untoward, especially the "Trump Watch" thread. I didn't give any hint I was displeased with where it was posted, yet, I thought it was vile. As to the accusation that I single-handedly rendered the thread useless, the truth is, it took only my pinky-finger and the first two digits of my ring-finger to hopefully bury it. (My right hand being my off-hand) I agree with those who wish not to read it, so don't, if you are disposed not to.

Last edited by Charlie Southerland; 03-23-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 03-23-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Southerland View Post
the first two digits of my ring-finger
Charlie--I'll put politics aside momentarily to suggest you see a doctor about this. How close are you to the MO border? I know some doctors in SW Missouri who might be able to take a look, but be careful: I think they're democrats.
Unread 03-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Thanks, Simon. Yes, some of the finest surgeons in the world reside in Springfield, MO. I attend their annual convention at the Chick-fil-A.
Unread 03-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Administrator

The original post starting off this thread is in unutterably bad taste. It is beneath the dignity of the Sphere.

There is nothing witty or clever about it; ask PC Keith Palmer's family.

Jayne
Closed Thread