Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-04-2017, 11:57 AM

Default NEA funding

Here's a short interview with Dana Gioia about the work of the National Endowment for the Arts. Some of us may have individual quibbles with the NEA, but I do believe that the agency should continue to be funded.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/heres-looking-at-you/
Unread 02-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Distinguished Guest

This was worth my time and attention, thank you.

What an urbane discourse, truly a pleasure to listen to. While, like Mr. Gioia, I am a Republican moderate/centrist, so it was nice to hear the agency historically has fared better under my party than the opposition -- I would differ with him mainly on two points. Let me say, I have no "dog" in this race, and no strong opinion nor feeling one way or the other. I have never taken advantage of government funding for what I do, nor will I. So this is an "outsider's view," from the sidelines, as it were, watching the two teams compete.

First -- the dismissive argument that these are "the problems of the past century," I feel is unwise. The problems of the past century are not only the problems of the past century, but they are the problems of the present, and will be the problems of the future. The "Look over there!" tactic of distraction has never impressed me.

Second -- I would disagree with his advice that supporters ought to let their congressmen know this is the first time they have ever written to a public official. Frankly, in a world such as ours, with the issues confronting us of so much importance, if constituents told me this, I might be strongly tempted to think I was not dealing with the deepest, most thoughtful, or most intelligent.

Perhaps discretion would be the better part of valor, there. Less is more.

Overall, though, a worthwhile few moments.

Jennifer
Unread 02-17-2017, 10:16 PM

Dana G. on this in yesterday's L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...219-story.html
Unread 02-18-2017, 07:29 AM
Distinguished Guest

Thanks, Andrew. Quote: "Meanwhile every year a quarter of a million teenagers participate in Poetry Out Loud, a national high school recitation contest. Do any of these programs sound elitist?"

Well, since the writer asks...

The Poetry Out Loud program was a monolith of a "wheeler-dealer" notion, which gives control to the Poetry Foundation. The Poetry Foundation publishes an anthology from which students are to choose the poems they perform. No "outsider" may be represented. If you are not among the elite chosen by the Poetry Foundation, then you are effectively disenfranchised. You don't get an audience.

So, yes -- it is, absolutely, an elitist, Establishment institution.

J
Unread 02-18-2017, 03:12 PM

http://www.poetryoutloud.org/poems-a...=&title_only=1
Unread 02-18-2017, 03:37 PM

I could imagine a reason why maybe teachers would want some hedging in of the poems open for recitation. Maybe a bit chicken-hearted but I am not sure it is that elitist. the list seemed pretty fair just by a quick drive-by. How would you all do it? Actually curious. No dog in the fight.
Unread 02-18-2017, 03:43 PM

I do have a poem on the list, and it did appear in Poetry. I'm sure that all of the canonical poems from earlier centuries come from links on the website of the Poetry Foundation, for there are thousands of poems there. I'm not sure if all of the contemporary poems appeared in Poetry, though. I was unaware that "God's Secretary" is one of the choices but am pleased it is.
Unread 02-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Distinguished Guest

So, if we shook it up a bit, and plugged in another variable -- if the taxpayer money went to fund a program controlled by, say, the RNC, that would be cool with you, Andrew?

It's elitist.

J
Unread 02-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Distinguished Guest

You know, today, Jim Kates showed me a flyer which circulated at AWP, for a petition opposing the dismantling of the NEA. Of course, I understand why this is so important to writers. They are facing the loss of their "feed." And I care not, one way or the other. If they cut it, I'm good. If they keep it, likewise -- I'm good. My crusade is elsewhere.

But there was some really silly, over the top language like the dire warning that such a move would "usher in a new Dark Ages."

I hardly think that the period prior to 1965, when those agencies came to be, could reasonably be called the Dark Ages.

So, if you are determined, let me commend your concern. But defend the thing honestly, please.

J
Unread 02-18-2017, 05:30 PM

Hmmm... I don't actually know much of anything about the NEA. Like you say....much bigger things afoot I guess. I simply wandered by and thought I could see some sense in having a pool for readers to choose from. I honestly just found it a curious thing in general. I don't follow that world at all but the list of poems didn't seem like some leftist birthday party seating list. I am still missing what you see in it that is necessarily elitist. That there is a list at all, or that the list is picked with some ideological censorship? I am just interested but too full up to do my own research. Lazy wretch, right?