Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Slater View Post
Shaun, I'm glad to see you following the action.
While I initially checked it out to support a fellow poet / 'Spherian, I'm actually looking at it regularly, because I think it's such a fantastic idea. I'm very heartened by the idea of kids reading and discussing these works in classrooms -- it's important that they see the value of the humanities at an early age, after all. Besides, it's just a fun "competition," and there are a lot of good poets in the mix. I still wonder a little bit about how certain words are deemed to be equally difficult, but that doesn't really detract from the positive experience of the whole thing.
Unread 03-22-2017, 12:49 PM

I suggested that both poets be given the same word each round because it would be interesting to the students, I believe, to see how two poets end up creating two entirely different poems from the same word. I'm really not all that concerned about fairness to the poets, though, since there's no entry fee and no prizes, and both the glory of winning and the shame of losing are minimal.
Unread 03-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Round 4 is up now. I fear this may be it for me, since Randi's poem is quite fine and bound to be a crowd pleaser as well. Our matchup is here, though do have a look at the others. I think the poem by Emily Weaver is maybe the best of the eight this round.
Unread 03-23-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Slater View Post
Round 4 is up now. I fear this may be it for me, since Randi's poem is quite fine and bound to be a crowd pleaser as well. Our matchup is here, though do have a look at the others. I think the poem by Emily Weaver is maybe the best of the eight this round.
Yep, Randi's is a corker, though I still wish her metrics were a bit tighter! I voted for you, Bob, and hope you manage a comeback in one of the best races so far!
Unread 03-24-2017, 02:13 AM

This thread is a joy. Thank you, Bob.
Unread 03-24-2017, 12:11 PM

Yes definitely the toughest competition yet... Still like yours, though, and voted so.

At this point you've got my vote for Children's Poet Laureate if there was such a thing. And there should be such a thing.
Unread 03-24-2017, 12:29 PM

The real competition seems to be the nice-off in the comments section. I don't know if Bob can recover from some of the hardcore compliments he's taken, although he's been steadily slinging appreciation from the get-go. Hang in there, Bob. Don't let them get in your head.
Unread 03-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moonan View Post

At this point you've got my vote for Children's Poet Laureate if there was such a thing. And there should be such a thing.
Jim: There IS such a thing. Jack Prelutsky was named the first one a few years back. Dunno if anybody has replaced him... Maybe it was a lifetime appointment. The UK has one, too, I believe.
Unread 03-24-2017, 01:52 PM

The children's laureate is currently Jaqueline Woodson. In the past, J Patrick Lewis has held the honor. Pat was a Distinguished Guest here in a children's poetry bakeoff once. Kenn Nesbitt has also been the laureate. I think there have been others, though it's a fairly recent thing. (Pat and Kenn have both published anthologies in which I've been included).

Thanks to all who have been following March Madness. Yes, to me it's mostly about getting lots of children's poets together to interact and get to know each other and have a little fun. I'm relieved that I'm about to be eliminated, since it's really a lot of pressure to have to produce a poem in 36 hours that will be publicly displayed and commented on whether you think it's any good or not.
Unread 03-24-2017, 04:42 PM

Roger, I quite like your snowman poem. I think you certainly have got a shot. I do think that "made of" (after "miscellany") should be "stuck with" (or something to that effect), because the snowman is mostly made of snow, right?