Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-03-2002, 02:37 AM

Dear Stephen

Greetings!

Apologies to Kevin, whose thead we are in danger of highjacking, and to our non-UK colleagues, to many of whom this must appear arcane and more than a little loopy...

What a wonderful programme that was!

Do you remember Kenneth Muir's "The rose, "Red Setter", Arthur sold as thyme"?

Best wishes!

Clive Watkins
Unread 07-03-2002, 09:56 AM

Well, actually, I would like to see these stories, but it would probably be better to start a new thread in General on "The Shaggy Dog Story."

Kevin
Unread 09-16-2002, 11:20 PM

Well, Worldcon and the Worldcon aftermath are over, and was pleased to find my Feghoot had been accepted and printed in the souvenir book, next to the biography of Ferdinand Feghoot's creator, the late Reginal Bretnor.

Got lots of nice comments on the poem, one of the nicest being from Dave Howell, my editor at Alexandria Digital Literature (www.alexlit.com) who asked to put the poem on the website. So yea on that, and double yea that Fred Flaxman, Bretnor's literary executor, granted me permission since it's a joint copyright deal.

Otherwise, all was great fun at the con, and good business. Met with my editors from Tor and finished the corrections to the galley proofs for Drum into Silence last week and got them in.

And now I'm back.

Kevin
Unread 11-27-2002, 01:13 AM

Talking

Just received my author's copies of Light Quarterly today, the day after receiving my copy of Fathom: The World Below (out now from iBooks) and a few days after Tor rushed me advance bound galleys of Drum into Silence to give to reviewers at the Orycon convention this past weekend.

Will be starting on a second Fathom novel soon, which is slated for a July 2003 publication.

It's awfully nice to hold novels in your hand, especially when they're substantial. (Fathom: tWB is 314 pages, and Drums into Silence is 399.)

Kevin
Unread 11-30-2002, 07:19 AM

Kevin

Just read this thread for the first time and I began to wonder, does the muse with the whip ever go home? Or does she live at your place?

Kudos to you! I'm especially fond of the wimple/dimple rhyme. It could easily have been the instigation for the entire poem!

Tony said: "[W]riters who work at connecting with an audience within the constraints of a genre learn things about rhetoric and narrative..."

I learned something new in this thread, after looking up Clive's spelling of "highjacking" (the spelling looked so odd that I was suddenly seized by a desire to know the word's derivation): here's the derivation I found in my old Webster's:

[probably hi (for high) + jack, v.]

That's it. I knew this would be a fitting detail to pass on to all here, especially in the thread that includes Clive's wonderfully "loopy":

[T]his must appear arcane and more than a little loopy...

Do you remember Kenneth Muir's "The rose, "Red Setter", Arthur sold as thyme"?

Clive, to answer your question: No, I don't remember it. Is there another thread one might consult for details?

Terese

[This message has been edited by Terese Coe (edited November 30, 2002).]
Unread 01-24-2003, 01:04 PM

Terese,

Glad you like the wimple/dimple rhyme. It wasn't the instigation of the poem, but was one of those rhymes that made me cackle when I thought of it.

Bumping this up because after numerous delays Hastur, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
is now taking preorders and will be out next month.

Also, my game publisher, White Wolf, after much internal reorganization, finally sent me my authors copies for the Mage: Guide to the Traditions and Mage: Storyteller's Handbook, really gorgeous hardback folios with scraps of fiction and verse interspersed. None of my verse in these, but some fun spots of prose.

Kevin