Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Shaun Russell View Post
My final little salvo on this topic then:

If a thread doesn't disappear, but gets moved behind closed doors, out of the sight of forum members, isn't it rather the same as the "tree falling in the forest when no-one's around" musing? In other words, the thread will still be disappearing...just disappearing to a small room with only the moderators to view it.
Shaun,

I believe the idea is that such threads would remain fully accessible to members with access to the private Eratosphericals area.

David R.
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Alex,

I think members are confused about the physical layout in Eratosphericals. Maybe you should create a dummy thread to demonstrate where removed threads would end up so members can see how it would work.

David R.
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:41 PM

I've just created the dummy thread. I created it in GT and moved it to Eratosphericals.

What I see on GT is the six-hour redirect I left. If I click on Eratosphericals and scroll down, under Pub, Dear Moderator, and Dear Administrator, I see a separate block, where the moved post appears.

Now, I can never assume that I'm seeing what others will see because I've got superpowers. So please tell me whether this matches up with what you all are seeing!

Oops, cross-posted with Alex.
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Sure, David. I'll have one up for those who want to kick the tires of the new system!

Editing back in: Maryann has beat me to it and created a dummy thread there (titled, "A test post, to be moved".)

...Alex
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Shaun Russell View Post
My final little salvo on this topic then:

If a thread doesn't disappear, but gets moved behind closed doors, out of the sight of forum members, isn't it rather the same as the "tree falling in the forest when no-one's around" musing? In other words, the thread will still be disappearing...just disappearing to a small room with only the moderators to view it.
No, Shaun, you've still got it wrong. It will reappear in the main forum of Eratosphericals, where ALL registered members with access privilege will still see it and be able to continue posting to it. (See Maryann's dummy moved thread there titled, "A test post, to be moved" as an example.) It may be a lot of details to absorb at first, but I'm sure it will also become clearer and even make sense with use.

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Help

I've read this thread 3 times and as I understand it, I've been a member since 2001 and I've posted 88 times, so, does this mean I should be able to post/view Eratosphericals ? Or, am I perceived as a "lurker"? With my schedule and lack of confidence with critiques and my painstaking process of revising my work, I fear I may be in the lurker category, but this would be a punishment I don't think I fairly deserve

I've been trying to find a somewhat recent post entitled "Rabbit Nest" and before I knew it, it was off the FV boards before I could post my revision. I have no back up of comments to thread to and I wanted to know if there is a way to retrieve posts that have disappeared?

Also, I wanted to know if the Poetry contest is still happening and if a winner was announced. I can't seem to find any info that I can access to answer this question.

Thanks for your time and patience. I get overwhelmed in here sometimes - okay a lot of the time. However, I just finished teaching for the year. I will be more active on the boards - promise!

Many thanks,

Tiffany

Last edited by Tiffany Krupa; 06-24-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Sentence made no sense
Unread 06-24-2011, 11:46 PM

Dear Tiffany,

Thanks for your note. On the FV question: the poetry boards get purged (we call it pruning) once a month. Anything that hasn't been replied to for thirty days goes poof. I try to give 72 hour's warning before it happens, and I'm a little slow sometimes, kinda by design, so people don't lose stuff, But for many reasons it's good this pruning happens.

The 15 critique rule is designed to keep the boards from being swamped by enthusiastic newbies and the verse versions of remoras. Since you've been a member since 2001, it's hard to believe you would fit into either camp...

So here's my best advice: Post away! Save early, save often. And have fun...

Thanks,

Bill
Unread 06-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Hello Tiffany,

Check your PM about access to Eratosphericals.

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 06-25-2011, 11:33 PM

Dear Bill, thank you for the clarification and the encouragement!

Dear Alex, Thank you for your email!

Happy posting

Tiffany