Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Default Wikipedia police vs. Wilbur Award

I've been trying, over the past several years, to ensure that the Wikipedia pages for the Wilbur, Barnstone, and Nemerov awards are updated as soon as there's new information that can be cited as Wikipedia demands, and to ensure that mistakes don't creep in. I looked in today, to try to correct a bad link (Robert W. Crawford's name is linked to a deceased person, not OUR R. Crawford). This is what I found on the talk page, where the evaluators comment on behind-the-scenes activity:

"Speedy deletion
This article appears to be a hoax or joke article, deliberately combining two unnotable and minor literary awards into one in order to evade WP:N and WP:RS. This is a pattern of abuse by user User:Alicb and User:Maryannz in an attempt to prop up the latter's fame as a poet through poetry-related fancruft. This conduct has been witnessed by myself and other reviewers on Wikipedia and other mirrors so I have created an account so that I can address this issue with the community. Thanks and please feel free to reach out with any questions. PoetryFan (talk) 17:57, 20 August 2016 (UTC)"

So it appears that I am persona non grata as far as the Wikipedia police are concerned, simply because I've tried to tidy a page I have an interest in. I will swear on a stack of bibles that I've done nothing but try to keep the page accurate. Needless to say, I am fuming.

Can I get someone else who is knowledgeable in the ways of Wiki to take over this task? And while you're at it, to rake PoetryFan over the coals? This sort of smear does damage to the award, and the Evansville people ought to be royally pissed.
Unread 03-12-2017, 04:54 PM

If I understand what I am reading, Maryann, Poetryfan has been permanently blocked for being an persistent nuisance on wiki. PF was blocked shortly after that post. Just a fool with a keyboard.
Unread 03-12-2017, 04:59 PM

I hope that's true, Andrew. Thank you for checking. My husband also thinks he's seeing that PoetryFan got into trouble.

I'm going to try to do the fix I intended, and we'll see what happens.
Unread 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Distinguished Guest

Thank you for efforts--I appreciate what you have been doing.
Unread 03-12-2017, 08:10 PM

Let this be a lesson to everybody - don't mess with Maryann Corbett!!

And thanks, Maryann, for updating the pages. I don't know about the Barnstone, but the Wilbur and Nemerov pages absolutely need somebody following them.
Unread 03-12-2017, 09:05 PM

Maryann, there are a lot of malicious trolls on the Internet, and Wikipedia is vulnerable to them. It is relatively easy for them to do damage and undermine the credibility of editors who are just trying to be helpful. But eventually some of the trolls get caught and banned, and I hope that has happened in this case. Those of us who, like me, know very little about coding depend on those like you, who can keep the information up to date on sites about formalist poetry.

Susan
Unread 03-14-2017, 08:31 PM

This is a great service Maryann is doing for all of us. There have been times when I wondered if the Nemerov site would every be updated again. It's great to know someone is on top of these things.
Unread 03-14-2017, 09:28 PM

Thanks, everybody, for the supportive words.

While I'm on this subject, I note that there's an oddity about the prize year numbering on the Barnstone page: it goes from 2010 (Stallings) to 2012 (Berlina and Racz). Does anyone know if I'm actually missing a winner or set of winners, or if the years are just off?

All help appreciated!

Editing back: I found an online source with different year numbering and made an adjustment.

Last edited by Maryann Corbett; 03-14-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Unread 03-15-2017, 09:47 AM
Distinguished Guest

Maryann: Bill Baer is the most likely to know. If you don't have his email (it's the same preretirement one), message me at Twitter or email me & I'll give it to you. Mike
Unread 03-15-2017, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all your unpaid work on Wikipedia, Maryann!

How nice to have a detractor removed...