Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Old 03-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Adam, we differ in our sense of the item: you hear animated energy and rapid speech; I hear a languid, ironic (almost sarcastic) depiction of two cartoonish characters far off in a two-dimensional world who are being mocked for their foibles, even von Korf, with his pungent Beethovenian thunderbolts. I hear a genial fellow over after dinner drinks in a nice restaurant or drawing room telling a reminiscence about eccentric acquaintances as if it were a joke. My take is reflected in my current translation, which I have also scanned. My rhythm is more relaxed, on the whole, as befits my outlook. I could not have enjoyed doing this translation if Morgenstern's voice in my ear was too businesslike, too mach schnell. I do find the title of his book, "Galgen Lieder," ("Gallows Songs") distasteful. But then, it was written very long ago, and maybe he was thinking of Till Eulenspiegel or Francois Villon.

PS: Perhaps you were teasing me in your last post, which is OK indeed, but I should alert you that I have been authorized to record extensive notes by our New York State regional river-travel tourist agency: the Oberhudson-dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitäns-klemmbrettfabrikparkplatzbegleiterslizenzamt.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 03-24-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:58 AM

Allen,

I think Ha and Cis are names for pheromones, which fits Morgenstern's olfactory trope. Also, all the line endings seem to be feminine, except for "wirft." Meaning? One last point: the opera (plural of opus) is snot. I haven't seen anyone mention that disgusting word. Morgenstern probably found it disgusting, so he uses a euphemism. Essentially, this is delightful bathroom joke only a refined Teutonic humorist could write. Not political or religious or historical. And I love it. Your translation is excellent. Except for the Hot Sauce or hot cha cha.

Blessings
Lance

Last edited by Lance Levens; 03-25-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Levens View Post
Allen,

I think Ha and Cis are names for pheromones, which fits Morgenstern's olfactory trope. Also, all the line endings seem to be feminine, except for "wirft." Meaning?
Not political or religious or historical. And I love it. Your translation is excellent. Except for the Hot Sauce or hot cha cha.

Blessings
Lance
Lance, I did observe the special status of "wirft....", and I thank you for your warm appreciation of the original and my translation. I wouldn't read anything into the "genderized" labels for the line endings. Each line falls off with a so-called "feminine" ending except the last, which trails away to silence diminuendo with much the same effect without initiating a new line. It grieves me slightly that you find "hot sauce" lacking, since those words closely mimic the sound of those aural pheromones that you respond to enthusiastically. I direct you to another Morgenstern poem "The Nasobeme.

Palmström is seated at the piano, von Korf is at his desk, and we are at our computers, possibly not standing or leaping into the atmosphere.

Thank you, though, for liking most of the translation.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 03-26-2017 at 12:00 PM.