Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-16-2017, 08:06 PM

From what I understand of sequestration (not much), Trump's budget is impossible to pass.
Unread 03-16-2017, 08:11 PM

An op-ed from Trumptown that explains how school lunches for poor kids are actually bad because they take children away from their families at meal times. This is a Marie Antoinette moment. Except this one actually happened. http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...-be-a-favor-to
Unread 03-16-2017, 11:35 PM

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ration/519798/

"Why Sequestration is Poised to Kill Trump's Budget"

I hope so...
Unread 03-18-2017, 11:17 PM

I have received a translation grant from the NEA and also served as an anonymous reviewer of translations for the NEA. I agree with Sam—cut the individual grants for original writers (standards too subjective) and keep the grants for translators (and I say this knowing that there is a bias against re-translation and that a translator of Classical Lit is therefore far less likely to get a grant than a translator from a living language).
Unread 03-27-2017, 12:11 PM

In related news, Dana Gioia will be honored by the Walt Whitman Birthplace Association as a Champion of Literacy on Sunday, April 30th.

The press release reads, in part, as follows:

"Dana Gioia has enhanced the impact of literacy through his body of work comprised of five collections of poetry, eight poetry chapbooks, three opera libretti, and numerous translations in Latin, Italian, German and Romanian, essays, reviews and critical writings....

While Chair of the NEA from 2003-2009, he facilitated its recovery from big cuts made in the late 1990s. With the NEA under attack again, Gioia states that, 'music, dance, theater, literature and visual arts would become less widely available, especially in schools, rural areas and poorer communities.' (LA Times)

In 2005, Gioia founded Poetry Out Loud with fellow poet John Barr, former President of The Poetry Foundation. Barr will introduce Gioia who will then offer an acceptance speech and read his own poetry.

Poetry Out Loud is a nation-wide recitation competition, which encourages high school students to learn about poetry through memorization. Six Poetry Out Loud finalists will recite their winning poems."

More information at the link:
http://waltwhitman.org/?event=3497&e...ate=2017-04-30
Unread 03-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Thanks for that, Ned. I happen to live very near the Walt Whitman birthplace, so I'm looking forward to attending. I went ahead and registered.
Unread 03-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Distinguished Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Balbo View Post
become less widely available, especially in schools, rural areas and poorer communities.' (LA Times)
That would be sad, indeed. Perhaps, should that ever become the woeful case, then Mr. Gioia could lead the way as an example of Christian charity to the poor, and offer his children's opera free, rather than charging admission for it
Unread 03-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Distinguished Guest

By the way, I am so grateful for the repetition of these dire words of warning, for, on a tangent, they also reminded me that if I do not get that check in to the famous televangelist, scores of Jewish widows may perish in the Holy Land, and I myself may come under the curse of the Almighty.

J