Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Steve - I have been eagerly awaiting this post but I didn't realise how much until it arrived. I have smiled and snivelled through one of the best reads I've had for weeks. The thing that pleases me most is how much Richard's life has gained from your appearance in it.

A thought. Perhaps the way to bring the rest of Richard's work to light would be to incorporate it in a memoir, based on your quest and the discoveries you have made. It is the way you have brought his work into your own on this thread that makes me think that this would be a delight to read. As I said; just a thought.

Meanwhile - thank you.
Unread 10-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Steve,

Wonderful.

Ed
Unread 10-23-2010, 03:24 PM

I share Ann's feelings about this, Steve. The experience is calling to be memoir-ised. It's about you as much as Richard; it's about the interconnectedness of things, and the love, like golden links, that keeps human beings communicating through time and age and death.

I sense tears and titles all through this, and you are the knight errant, seeking, as all such knights do, to fulfil a yearning deep in your heart.

This is the best kind of love story.

Cally
Unread 10-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Default painting a story

Your posts about this visit to Richard are really wonderful, Steve. You have such a gift for bringing us along with you. What I especially like is how you write about both the experience and your feelings. I like that you freely share what it is about Richard's work that inspires you. Your enthusiasm, your respect and admiration for him, your excitement about finding more of his work to explore, jumps off the page. It's so much fun. I've really enjoyed this thread.

Everything, most certainly, has not happened to you, yet. I suspect there is much, much more to come. Perhaps a book, someday? Maybe a long and wonderful friendship with a fascinating man who inspires you, and through your writing, inspires us. I wish that I could meet Richard, but distance and time make it unlikely. Instead, I get to meet him through your writing.

I look forward to hearing more, as you continue on this interesting quest. Thank you for sharing it.

Stephenie
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Yes, thanks, Steve. The whole thread has been a wonderful piece of adventure - a quest story, as you yourself put it. Please take up Ann's suggestion.
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:39 AM

I admire your search, Steve, and I've greatly enjoyed reading through this thread and especially your accounts. I think Ann has a good suggestion!
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:36 AM

Default Lap of Honour.

Thanks Ann,

I have enjoyed your company on this journey. I have finally worked out what "fewmets" are! When I first read that I thought they were a clever verse-form I was ignorant of.

Thanks, Ed,

I passed on that you and others were enjoying having The Idle Demon on their shelves. Though when I look at Richard he seems more possessed of the Energetic Demon.

Thanks Cally, as Richard wrote in The Questing Beast:

“When you are possessed by a longing for someone in this way, the whole of life relates itself to that one, important thing. Then, in the course of time, the feeling dies away, and you can no longer recapture the greatness and reality of it."

Of course, I think we all try to hang onto "the greatness and reality of it" by writing.

Thanks Steph,

I will make sure you have an invitation to Richard's next birthday party. Until then you can meet him in his writings. I felt no disjunction between the man whose words I had met and the man who stood before me.

Thanks Gregory,

I must read The Quest for Corvo when I get the chance. I wonder if Richard ever met A.J.A.Symons? I will ask.

Richard is encouraging me to read Chesterton and Belloc. We are both fans of Belloc's The Path to Rome . I must read The Man Who Was Thursday and Manalive.

Thanks, Andrew,

The search is neverending. I'm getting very interested now in Howard Moss, the great New Yorker editor who Richard knew; his own fine poetry, rather like Richard's, seems to have been overlooked.

Thanks to all, and Jerome in particular, my fellow-quester, for following this trail with me. Steve.

Last edited by Steve Bucknell; 10-25-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Proper English! Quester, not questor!
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:44 AM

I'm not a little awed by all this. Wonderful that you are bringing up neglected literature. Too often, IMO, the bulldozer of the present razes the edifices of the past.

Looking forward to what you have to say about Howard Moss and his momentous contributions to poetry.
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Steve, The Quest for Corvo is a fascinating book - but Richard sounds an infinitely pleasanter person than Baron Corvo ever was.

Good to hear he's keen on Chesterton. Those two books are very good - and I'm very fond of The Napoleon of Notting Hill as well (well, I'm very fond of almost all Chesterton, even at his most slapdash).
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:44 AM

Default Happy Birthday Richard!

Just a quick update for all you R.P. Lister fans. Richard celebrated his 97th birthday in November. He is still enjoying life, music and poetry. He still keeps notebooks full of poems and ideas for poems, which even he now finds difficult to decipher, a fact that causes him great amusement. He enjoys the fact that people continue to rediscover his works, and I relay to him the delight The Idle Demon has brought to many friends and acquaintances.

There will be a performance of Richard’s poems in London at The Poetry Cafe http://www.poetrysociety.org.uk/content/cafe/ on the 15th. I can’t get, but I thought any nearby Sphereans might be interested.

A TEMPTATION TO
Spend An Hour With
THE IDLE DEMON
Listening to the humorous verse of
R.P. Lister
Performed by Donald Pelmear
R.P. Lister wrote for Punch, The New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly
3.00 p.m. 15th December 2011
At The Poetry Café
22,Betterton Street, Covent Garden, WC2
Free! Will cost you nothing but your time

I am still enjoying exploring Richard’s works, and it is great fun meeting up with him when I can. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5663025...57627221609285