Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-11-2017, 09:22 PM

Default New York City Haiku

Two years ago, the New York Times solicited haiku about NYC. They got nearly 3,000 submissions and published a small selection of favorites, including one by Mary Moore. She now appears in the new book New York City Haiku, an expanded collection of 150 Times poems. That's enough of an expansion to make room for a couple of my submissions.

https://www.nytimes.com/store/new-york-city-haiku.html
Unread 04-12-2017, 06:05 AM

That's marvelous news.
Congratulations to you
And to Mary Moore.
Unread 04-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Congratulations to Chris and Mary! I hope the large number of residents means that the book is that rarity, a popular poetry book.

Susan
Unread 04-15-2017, 02:32 PM

I have mixed emotions. Congrats, of course, to Mary and Chris. But disappointment with myself, for not even being aware of the contest. I don't know what's worse for an ex-city boy - entering and not placing, or being so misplaced and displaced that it just passed you by without even a sneer. Screw it. I'll go outside in the 70 degree sun and stare at a snow covered mountain. And maybe weep a little. And I'll buy the book.
Unread 04-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Congratulations, Chris, Susan and Mary! No mean feat!
Unread 04-18-2017, 11:45 PM

Oh my God, Chris, I will never forgive you for this. The haiku book arrived today, I started skimming through it without even checking the authors, and exploded with rage and recognition when I came across this one (which will only make sense to a few readers, but they're the ones who count.)

Major Deegan south
to Willis to FDR
we're here with no tolls!

And then I noticed the writer. Yes, it's your poem - and congrats - but it's been my secret way into New York for sixty years (I did tell Tom Wolfe about it, and he used it as the opening chapter in Bonfire of the Vanities, but the exact location was masked, because Tom is a gentleman) and now the entire haiku world will know about it.

From 1957 through 1984 (with the exception of four years in various foreign assignments) I lived in Manhattan, worked in Connecticut, and commuted back and forth (against the traffic - empty roads on my side, and massive traffic jams on the other only reinforced my sense of self) five times a week; and five times as week I used the secret shortcut - and toll-avoider - you have now exposed to the world. I was using that maneuver when you were barely alive! It's my last link to being a hot-shot New Yorker. Who gave you the right to use it in a haiku?

(Do you do the entire shtick? Thruway to the Hutch to the Bruckner, to the elevated Bruckner, to the Willis Avenue Bridge cut-off, to the little three block jaunt through the South Bronx and onto the bridge? And - word of advice - instead of the FDR Drive, bear left at the exit, cut over to Lexington, take Lexington to 96th, and then Park the rest of the way downtown.)

Apologies to all who are still with me (both of you, and maybe Chris), but after all those threads like this one where I had absolutely nothing to add or say, I finally found one which appealed to my particular strength and background.

Last edited by Michael Cantor; 04-19-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Unread 04-19-2017, 12:58 AM

Michael, you're more than halfway into a potentially excellent poem of rage about having your secret shortcut revealed!

Do you decide to be generous & surrender it to the world willingly? If you write it, we'll find out.

(But you probably have lots of other poems on your plate, anyway.)

Congrats to Chris & Mary!