Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-12-2015, 05:21 PM

Sorry, Catherine, but I don't see what the tragic death of Bob Simon has to do with Brian Williams. You might not like Williams, but that reasoning is absurd.

Whether you like it or not, people don't become network news anchors, or Presidents of the USA, or anything in between without having a healthy ego. Personally, if the only thing Brian Williams ever wrong did was occasionally inflate a personal incident - if he basically has a history of honest and reliable reporting on the news - I'd forgive him the unearned pat on the back. He was there, he was flying into a combat zone, he was risking his life to report the news - he wasn't reading it off a script in the studio.

Last edited by Michael Cantor; 02-12-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Unread 02-12-2015, 05:38 PM

I always liked Brian Williams, but he definitely forfeited his right to be a respected newsman when he actually incorporated his lie into the news program itself -- which he apparently did in late January when he reported on a hockey game where he and an actual war hero were introduced and the story of his helicopter being hit by enemy fire was told. He should have kept it off the air and saved it for non-news appearances.
Unread 02-12-2015, 08:09 PM

One would think that if NBC could hire Marv Albert back after being convicted of felony assault and sodomy, that Williams might have a chance to be rehired in the future.

One would also think that true after MSNBC hired AL Sharpton, for God's sakes.

Something is seriously wrong with NBC and its children.

And how can one forget about Bill and Hillary? Bill the defiler, perv, and Hillary the enabler.

Or Vitter, or others too numerous to mention.
Unread 02-13-2015, 12:10 AM

Charlie, I think Marv Albert's re-hiring is an interesting and pertinent counter-example, although the forcible sodomy charge you mentioned was a.) dropped as part of the plea bargain, so he wasn't actually convicted of that felony, and b.) definitely not most people's definition of forcible sodomy. Sordid details here (short version) and here (long version).

My understanding is that Albert was fired for wrongly assuring his bosses that there would be no plea bargain, because he had vehemently insisted that none of the charges had any basis in reality. In other words, Albert was fired for encouraging his boss to publicly defend his integrity, when Albert knew that at least some of the accuser's claims were actually true. The sexual crime against a third party didn't bother NBC as much as the fact that he had lied to them, personally, as a friend and colleague.

Brian William's case involves a different sort of lying, and no sexual crime. So, yeah, I agree, it's not of the same magnitude.

Then again...another factor in Albert's rehabilitation was the fact that he was SO much better at what he did than every other sports announcer NBC had at the time; is there a comparable talent gap between Brian Williams and the next-best guy they've got? Is Brian Williams as irreplaceable today as Marv Albert was back then? And is the news as important as basketball, anyway? (You know, from a business standpoint--NBC is, after all, a business.)

But, on the other hand...would the sexual harassment of a woman be as tolerated today as it was in 1997? Two years ago San Diego's mayor found out, to his very great surprise, after a long career in the U.S. Congress as a notorious womanizer, that the answer had quite abruptly become a resounding NO. Sordid details here. So maybe, in today's cultural climate, Marv Albert would not have been given a second chance for a sexual harassment sort of crime. In which case, his precedent may be completely irrelevant to NBC's decision about Brian Williams. That was then and this is now.

I'm actually glad you digressed from Marv Albert's case into general musings on people caught in adultery, because it's always good to be reminded of these words from a relevant parable: "He who is without sin among you, let him be first to cast a stone."

I need a lot of reminders of that.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 02-13-2015 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Can't shut up.
Unread 02-13-2015, 04:25 AM

Not to mention the NFL Network's own Warren Sapp who was only arrested AFTER the Super Bowl. They knew about that clown for years and let him go on TV and paid him to go on TV. If Pete Rose had done something like that...
Unread 02-13-2015, 06:12 AM

What Marv did had nothing to do with his job. Williams purposely lied about the facts in a news report on the air during his Nightly News show. That cannot be tolerated.
Unread 02-13-2015, 12:58 PM

I had a bit in Counterpunch

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/02/...f-made-up-man/

This came across my email today

https://deepresource.wordpress.com/2...freedom-index/