Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-21-2015, 03:16 PM

Just tested in both browsers. I do get a 'switch editor mode' button in firefox that I don't get in chrome. It's not going to make me change browsers, but it is kind of cool.

The only explanation I can think of is that we're a couple generations behind on the software. We're running 3.7.4, and V-Bulletin is way up past 5.0 at this point. Back when version three first came out, I doubt anyone had even heard of Chrome. But if we ever changed it, there'd be so much uproar it would make The Great Upheaval look like a day at Swan Lake. As the poet said, "Orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages, and the zookeeper is very fond of rum..."

Best,

Bill
Unread 02-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Distinguished Guest

Hey!

There are a lot of good reasons to be skeptical about changes in cages!
Unread 02-22-2015, 07:44 AM

Thanks people,

My apologies for not explaining what WYSIWYG (pronounced "Whizziwig") meant. I assumed that people who had might have an answer for me would know as they have had to have already selected that setting

To change this option go to "Quick links" on the menu at the top of the page, then choose "edit options", Scroll down to "Message Editor Interface" then select "Enhanced interface - Full WYSIWYG editing"

Among the benefits is the fact that when you cut and paste your poem from word you keep the formatting (so you don't lose and then forget to replace your italics like I always do. Another is that when you want to use white space to align/offset your text you don't have to deal with tags getting in the way and confusing you.

Anyway, I've done some research. There's a long-standing issue (since at least 2010) with neither the Safari or Chrome being compatible with vBulletin WHSIWYG editiors. There may be an extension or patch somewhere (I found one and couldn't install it), but if I find something that works, I'll let you know. And maybe I'll also check Firefox out some more.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by Matt Q; 02-22-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Unread 02-22-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.F. Lantry View Post
The only explanation I can think of is that we're a couple generations behind on the software. We're running 3.7.4, and V-Bulletin is way up past 5.0 at this point. Back when version three first came out, I doubt anyone had even heard of Chrome. But if we ever changed it, there'd be so much uproar it would make The Great Upheaval look like a day at Swan Lake. As the poet said, "Orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages, and the zookeeper is very fond of rum..."
Bill,

Sorry, I missed this. Yes, it seems that if we were running v-Bulletin 4.1.12, or 4.2 (or above) we'd be fine. I use Chrome on another forum and the WHSIWYG works fine there. Oh well.

best,

Matt