Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-19-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marly youmans View Post
Everywhere we look, administrations of all sorts grow too powerful, too luxurious, too monied. This wretched tale is yet another that contributes to the current doubts about academia.

My best to Ned and Jane...

Marly
My best to Ned and Jane as well, who I don't know as others do, but I can empathize.

This whole phenomena is from the higher ups of all sorts, definitely not just academia: it's all about corporate greed and better profits for the already rich to get richer while the worker bees get the shaft. It disturbs me deeply, as I see it everywhere from ditch diggers, to retail and on up to the white collar professions. There must be an answer, and speaking out, wherever, however we can has to be part of it.

Jeanne
Unread 08-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Andrew said in post #12:

Quote:
I've heard any number of horror stories about politics at universities, which is one big reason I've avoided them.
Oh boy, this takes me back a decade or so, to my own experience as a college lecturer over here... I'll spare you the details of my sorry tale.

Deepest sympathy, Ned, and I hope you find a new employer soon -- one who is worthy of having you!

Jayne
Unread 08-19-2014, 05:35 PM

I read Ned's essay on Facebook yesterday and replied to him on that medium. I'll try to post a comment on the Loyola site, though, knowing full well how things transpire at universities -- which are run like corporations -- I doubt if it will be of any assistance to Ned. This is an unjust and disheartening situation, and I wish Ned well in finding a new position.
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Yes, very sorry, Ned; best wishes, Ned and Jane.
Tough times.
Despicable conduct by people running institutions that should be committed to some standard of integrity.
I'll try to navigate the article site ...
Thank you, Maryann, for posting this.
Unread 08-20-2014, 06:09 AM

Nothing to add here except for support and commiseration. Really sorry to hear this, Ned. As someone who is working his way into academia, it's daunting and disturbing news indeed.
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:34 AM

Somehow I managed not to read this thread until now. I am distressed but not surprised. I sometimes think we should go back to founding universities the medieval way -- let the best professors walk away and take the students with them.
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail White View Post
Somehow I managed not to read this thread until now. I am distressed but not surprised. I sometimes think we should go back to founding universities the medieval way -- let the best professors walk away and take the students with them.
It's funny you should say that, Gail. On our way back from Buffalo a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were chatting about how there should be an incorporated town for emeritus and unfairly dismissed professors. A utopia of sorts where students from near and far can come to enroll for programs beyond the realm of academia.

Like More's Utopia, it's just a fantasy of course...yet given situations like Ned's, it's a wonder that various professors haven't just up and created their own perpetual independent colloquium.
Unread 08-22-2014, 03:37 PM

I'm coming late to this one too. All my support and sympathy to Ned.

And Gail's suggestion is a very appealing one. Maybe there are enough of us here already to set the thing in motion at once. And if you all come over here we can even find suitable medieval premises...
Unread 08-22-2014, 05:14 PM

I'm so sorry, Ned. I hope this doesn't sound facile, but it's really true, I think, that this could lead to something much better, like......

YES to Gail's idea, and Gregory's offer! Let's go!!!! Not that I was ever a professor, but I should have been.

To Venice!!!
Unread 08-22-2014, 05:26 PM

Hmmm...anyone need an American historian?