Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Can we get a link to the petition in a format that can be forwarded to other people?
Unread 09-26-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail White View Post
Can we get a link to the petition in a format that can be forwarded to other people?
Gail, this is not as easy as it looks, since the forum software sees the link and automatically shortens it. The easiest way to fool the software is to cut off the initial 'h', like this:

ttp://www.ipetitions.com/petition/reinstate-kim-bridgford-as-wcu-poetry-center

You can copy that. When you go to paste it, just add the initial h back on, and bob's your uncle...

Or, just copy the link, starting with www...

Most browsers now assume the initial http string, if you feed them the three w's at the start.

Thanks,

Bill
Unread 09-26-2014, 09:57 PM

Just emailed you one, Gail.
Unread 09-27-2014, 12:47 AM

With love and respect, surely you cannot expect all Eratosphere members to sign this petition?

I see Jayne has signed, and her signature will carry weight because she has been to West Chester and has experienced the Conference, but there will be a lot of people who have no connection with Kim (whom I wish good cheer and a successful outcome) or the parent organisation.

For people whose only connection to this issue is membership of Eratosphere and a respectful view from the sidelines to jump on a bandwagon and add their names to a list would surely cheapen your campaign. It is only a smidgin away from writing "Mickey Mouse" on a referendum.

If this cause is just, then I want it to succeed for all your sakes, but I am not signing for the reason I hope I have made clear above. Collect "fine" signatures from people who matter to the University. Quality, not quantity, will impress people who have influence in the case.

I wish you well.
Unread 09-27-2014, 12:51 AM

I think that is the intention, Ann, to provide opportunity only for thos who feel an involvement. Many read at the Sphere who are not members, but may have attended to West Chester conference. I agree completely with you that one should not sign petitions that aren't pertinent. Mickey Mouse at election time is a good anaology.
Unread 09-27-2014, 08:53 AM

Of course you shouldn't sign just for the sake of it, Ann! Many people have emailed me privately with similar expressions of general support and reasons for not signing, and even those emails are not necessary. I get it!

Having said that, I finally found time to post a blog entry on the situation, which all may find interesting:

http://annamevans.com/wordpress/?p=683
Unread 09-27-2014, 09:56 AM

On the issue of who should sign and who should not. I have been to West Chester six times, and I have been an engaged member of Eratosphere for over three years. I am a poet. I guess I'm qualified! Also, I only signed after carefully reading through everything said on the matter, both on and off the Sphere. I think right now I know as much as I can possibly know--which is far from everything.

But I mainly signed because I felt an injustice had been done, that Kim was ousted without due process, in the midst of doing what seemed to be an outstanding job--something I have seen happen so often, I get sick of hearing about it. Great, if some poets with big names sign--and I do see many fine poets there, scholars too, and many people I've gotten to know through West Chester. I also see people who have been taught by Kim and who know her in various capacities connected with her job. All good. But I think anyone could sign this petition simply on the grounds that they feel justice should be served.

If people on the outside (of the poetry world, of academia) become acquainted with this issue as best they can (that's important), and are perturbed by some of the actions taken by the WC administration, they should be encouraged to exercise their freedom of speech rights and speak up/sign. And perhaps they have good reasons for doing so.

Charlotte
Unread 09-27-2014, 10:21 AM

Well said, Charlotte.
Unread 09-27-2014, 10:24 AM

Well said, Charlotte. I completely agree. The petition isn't a court of law. If you agree with what is said in the petition, what harm could possibly come to you by signing it. You don't even have to log in to sign.
Unread 09-27-2014, 01:13 PM

Hey, there, kids! Your friend Mickey here! [Insert helium-fueled giggle.]

I've been hearing about the West Chester University Poetry Conference for well over a decade. Family medical crises have prevented me from attending, although, gosh darn it, it sure sounds like The Happiest Place on Earth for poets like me!

My husband's health is finally stable! (Don't tell Minnie!) And at long last, my daughter received her heart transplant and made it through the hellish drug regimen of the first year. Yippee! So I was hoping I might actually be able to take a few days off from my own Magic Kingdom to attend the conference in 2015.

Sadly, not only has the 2015 conference been cancelled, but the circumstances make me wonder if it would be ethical to attend future WCU Poetry Conferences.

Awwww....

So, you're darn tootin' I signed the petition! And anyone who says I had no right to because I've never attended in the past is just plain Goofy.

Even if the petition doesn't result in its stated aim (Kim Bridgford's reinstatement)--and I highly doubt that it will--I hope that it may at least prompt some explanation of why the director of the conference was abruptly removed from a job she was apparently doing so well. Unless that is explained to my satisfaction, I will not ever be able to attend this conference. That's what I hope my signature on this petition, along with my letters to administrators, will help to convey, lest they think this will all blow over and the conference will proceed as usual under a new director in 2016.

Your friend,
Mickey

[Edited to say: I'm not angry with anyone--just stating my position.]

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 09-27-2014 at 01:33 PM.