Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-20-2014, 03:33 PM

I do agree that it would be a major tragedy if this degenerated into a fight between Friends of Mike and Friends of Kim. But the blame so far rests on the University's lack of transparency, and on its treating Kim's request for a financial review (if there was one!) the way the Pope treated Luther's 95 theses. I do not think we should get off WCU's back about this.
Unread 09-20-2014, 04:16 PM

It's OK, Gail, the President assures us "All is well."
Unread 09-20-2014, 05:43 PM

No one is accusing Mike Peich of anything. Indeed, he has been, on balance, praised in this thread. I do, however, wonder, if the calls to shut the hell up are related to those who've done the most to publicize this situation being women who came to prominence in the conference during Kim's tenure. I hope I'm wrong but suspect I'm at least partly right.
Unread 09-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Default Etc.

I agree that no one should be accusing any individual of anything at this point. Until a FOIA comes back with financial information, it doesn't help Kim to make accusations or assumptions. It is the university (and its 501(c)3 Foundation) that is acting like it has something to hide.

But I strongly object to being told to "calm down." How often do women hear that remark? It's the equivalent of "don't worry your pretty little head about it." I don't intend to calm down. I intend to keep writing letters, because I am F-ing furious about what has been done to Kim. I do my best to make the content of those letters measured and polite, but we cannot let the university think this will all blow over soon. They want it to just go away. Not going to happen.

Keep writing letters requesting a financial audit and Kim's reinstatement.
Unread 09-20-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Valdata View Post

But I strongly object to being told to "calm down." How often do women hear that remark? It's the equivalent of "don't worry your pretty little head about it." I don't intend to calm down.
There really *is* something to be said for this position. There really, really is. Good on you, Pat.

Best,

Bill
Unread 09-20-2014, 07:31 PM

In the midst of all this, I have noticed a curious coincidence. Kim, under the auspices of the Poetry Center, gave a reading from her new book, Doll, on Wednesday, September 10. She was dismissed and reassigned the following Tuesday, September 16. Did anyone attend this reading?
Unread 09-20-2014, 07:46 PM

I simply have you come on, and say thank you, Pat, thank you, Anna, and thank you, Robin-Kemp. Thank you for forging ahead in search of the truth of the matter, and for keeping the issue of Kim's dismissal alive.

I agree this is not an in-house fight. I'd be the first to thank Dana Gioia and Mike Peich for founding the conference. Indeed, I benefited hugely from it under Mike's tenure, and I'm very grateful--just as I am enormously grateful to Kim for everything she has done for the conference--and for me. Between them, the West Chester Conference and Eratosphere have been invaluable to me in my development as a poet.

However, there is a difference between uncontrolled anger and keeping an issue alive and up front in a firm productive way. We have a tradition of investigative journalism in this country, and it is in part thanks to those passionate yet level-headed truth seekers that the American public knows what it knows about the abuse of power in all sorts of places.

We also have a tradition of free speech. The constitution (no less) encourages us to speak up, when we perceive harm to have been done.

And thank you, Quincy, and thank you, Pat, again, for speaking up on the issue of women and power. I too have suffered my share of "calm down" and "keep quiet." I too have been ignored when I speak. It's infuriating! I hasten to add that I really hope this thread doesn't veer off into that territory right now. I think we should all focus on keeping tabs on the truth of the matter, sending letters, and speaking up as we feel the need in the service of protesting the university's harsh treatment of Kim, and trying hard to find out what really happened. Nevertheless, it's worth keeping that kind of (often unconscious) prejudice in mind.

For my own part, I plan to write more letters.

Charlotte

PS: And thank you Bill (Lantry)! We cross-posted.
Unread 09-20-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. Gwynn View Post
In the midst of all this, I have noticed a curious coincidence. Kim, under the auspices of the Poetry Center, gave a reading from her new book, Doll, on Wednesday, September 10. She was dismissed and reassigned the following Tuesday, September 16. Did anyone attend this reading?
That is a very curious coincidence, and wow, suggests a very interesting scenario.
Unread 09-20-2014, 08:29 PM

I thank Rhina for her measured response to this matter. I have attended the conference every year except one (2013), and Mike and Kim both treated me fairly. This year I wasn't a faculty member, and I wanted badly to read from my new book (or read from my new book badly!). I asked Kim, and she graciously allowed me to be on two panels where I could read from it, probably at greater length than a faculty reading would have allowed. I am very grateful for her support.

However, I do think that we should refrain from recriminations until we know some indisputable facts:

It's also worth pointing out that WCU, using funds provided by the Foundation, is currently doing its best to secede from PASSHE:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/edu...s/201403150094

This link, posted by Anna M. Evans, is from March, and I am not sure at all that the endowment of the Poetry Center is part and parcel of the West Chester University Foundation. Even if this is so, West Chester's attempt to separate itself from the PASSHE has nothing whatsoever to do with the current situation. Members of the West Chester administration, from the dean to the president, have been present many times at opening banquets to acknowledge what the Poetry Conference has done for the university. Who, other than alumni, had ever heard of West Chester before the Poetry Conference? It has given the university an untold amount of good press.

I posted on FB that Mike Peich brought in the first women keynote speakers, the first African-American keynote speaker, the first (and only) foreign-language keynote speaker, and the first (and only) openly gay keynote speaker. He also sponsored the Mezzo Cammin/Women's Timeline (started by Kim Bridgford) during his tenure as director. This has been a women's-only critical seminar. These are facts that no one can deny. If I am in error, please correct me.
Unread 09-20-2014, 08:30 PM

While I wasn't able to go to the reading, I have a copy of Doll which I bought in June and have since read. I sincerely doubt that the content of the book has anything to do with Kim's dismissal. Yes, it's a book of sonnets with a feminist agenda.

But this is 2014.

One of the things I notice about Kim's dismissal is that people keep trying to find a way to make it about her, somehow. The conference attendance was down (it wasn't.) Her book offended the powers that be (really?)

We need to keep the focus on this fact: Kim wanted more transparency in the finances of the Poetry Center. Why was this so terrible?