Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-16-2014, 05:22 AM

It's a horrible move no matter the reason, but if it's for the reason Anna gives, it's beyond horrible. I've written to the dean.
Unread 09-16-2014, 06:19 AM

I've written to President Weisenstein, with a copy to the Dean.
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:43 AM

I was strongly considering attending the conference for the first time next year. Not anymore.
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Distinguished Guest

This is horrifying news. I'll send a letter today to the dean today.
Unread 09-16-2014, 08:07 AM

I'm shocked and appalled. How could the powers be so foolish as to do this and alienate a community of writers and artists? And, I agree, this will be a blow to the University's prestige. Don't they realize what Kim has done for them? I've found her tenure to be refreshingly open to writers who otherwise might have been put off to a conference with a mission of "Form and Narrative."

I feel sick about this. Writing today.

RobW
Unread 09-16-2014, 08:59 AM

Catherine's idea of writing to the President as well as the Dean is a good one. The address is:

Dr. Greg R. Weisenstein, President
Phillip's Memorial Building
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
West Chester, PA 19382

(I know, the zip code is one digit different from the one on the Dean's address, but I doubled checked both of them on the university's website. The site also provides email addresses for those who don't share my retro fondness for snail mail.)

I have no idea how big a financial scandal the university is sitting on, but I know for sure that any cover-up attempt will turn it into something much bigger. I hope, not just for the sake of poetry, but for Dean Vermeulen's own sake, that she moves quickly to salvage her reputation and the university's by reversing a bad decision.

Last edited by Chris O'Carroll; 09-16-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Absolutely heartsick about all this. The thought of spring without the West Chester conference, and without the wonderful Kim at its helm, gives me the same stunned vertigo as a death in the family. I will be joining the rest of you in writing letters--many thanks to Anna, Chris, and others for providing the necessary addresses.
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:51 AM

I was actually hoping to make it for the first time this year as I mentioned to Claudia Gary just this Sunday. I've heard such wonderful things about Kim Bridgford which are clearly being amplified in spades here.

Thus my thoughts are of necessity more editorial than personal. But how tragic such a tiny and besieged population, formalist poetry, finds itself beset with such a scandal. Yes, a tragedy indeed for all parties.
Unread 09-16-2014, 10:26 AM

I will be writing (and thanks to all for the addresses) in the hope that if we show our support in the thousands, the WC Conference will survive some flack just as Yaddo did decades ago. The PC has been such a beacon of hope in the world of formalist poetry, a place where we could talk & study & actually sell our books, plus bringing new poets to a knowledge of the English poetic tradition. It would be dreadful if it died just as it's coming of age.

PS: If you have given chunks of your hard-earned money to the Conference Fund or to special scholarships like Rhina's, don't be shy about mentioning it when you write.

Last edited by Gail White; 09-16-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: addition
Unread 09-16-2014, 11:05 AM

Your PS is an excellent thought, Gail. I've been trying to think what else I could do besides write a letter, and decided I could ask Kim if she'd like me to interview her for Ms. Magazine. Anyone else with access to the public spotlight might offer to do the same. Publicity can work wonders sometimes.