Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-07-2014, 06:59 AM

I think Patricia Valdata is the person who emailed directly with the Dean. As a Donald Justice prizewinner she was due to have her book come out at the 2015 conference. I recommend you also email Dean Lori directly with your questions on SLP.
Unread 10-07-2014, 02:42 PM

I saw this on Facebook, Susan & Gregory, & I'm afraid I don't remember exactly where. I do remember that the people who were to have books coming out in 2015 were greatly concerned! I would hope the University would honor its commitment to them, and make arrangements for marketing the other recent books, but I really do not have any facts.

( I remember that when SLP closed the first time, years ago, I got a lot of copies of "The Muse Strikes Back" at a rock-bottom price).
Unread 10-25-2014, 06:24 AM

I am new to this forum and I have no position on the firing of Kim Bridgeford.

However, I do have an opinion on the use of Holocaust literature which I see all too freely used on numerous forums whenever someone is upset about something. Yes, I'm Jewish and yes, I find it offensive and I appreciate RS Gwynn's call for reason and reasonable response.

To my way of thinking, it shows a distinct lack of imagination as well as taste to use Holocaust literature as a way to illustrate anything other than mass murder or an event so inconceivably horrible there is no other way to discuss it.
Unread 10-25-2014, 10:00 AM

So, Toni, since you are actually just repeating what Sam Gwynn said, do you think, in fairness, that people other than the ones who disagreed with him should come on and disagree with you?

Unread 10-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Well, anyone who signs a petition is also just repeating what the people who signed before him said, so I think you'll agree it is often worthwhile for people to weigh in with expressions of agreement. I hope that doesn't apply only to people you agree with. I commend Toni for being heard on the subject and not just resting on what Sam said. And that's not just because I agree with them.
Unread 10-25-2014, 11:58 AM

You presume too much, sir. I gather you even presume to know whomwith I agree .
Unread 10-25-2014, 12:10 PM

I presume only that you were chastising Toni for having expressed an opinion already expressed by Sam. I'm only saying that Toni has a right to express an opinion even if someone else also expressed the same opinion, and I think you know that.
Unread 10-25-2014, 12:26 PM

Again, you presume too much. That's not what I thought you mean.
Unread 10-30-2014, 11:42 AM

"Toni, since you are actually just repeating what Sam Gwynn said, do you think, in fairness, that people other than the ones who disagreed with him should come on and disagree with you?"

Anyone who wants to disagree with me is welcome to disagree with me on this or any other post. I made my comment because it's something I feel deeply and I've expressed it elsewhere plenty of times.

Reaching for the Holocaust in order to express ones frustrations with life is not a reflex I support.
Unread 10-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Erm, Toni, Anna pulled the Facebook quote, oh, an age or two ago, and while I, too, felt it... lacked proportion, that Anna deep-sixed the thing in the interests of not muddying the waters should have laid what was one of this discussion's more tangential tangents moot.