Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Default Input please

Have any of you been involved in a meet and greet type book event?

In this case, I have been asked to participate in a publicized and public event in which a selection of authors sits at a table and meets people who ask the authors either to sign their book or tell about their book or both. There is no reading to get people interested.

What the heck did you say when they asked you what your poetry book was "about." I think I can field questions like, how long have you been writing, what inspires you to write, how often do you write, etc etc. Even maybe "why poetry." But I need a good answer or deflection for "What is your book about?" "Or what do you write about?" rather than "everything"

ugh - not really looking forward to this and only doing it because the book store asked me to.
Unread 09-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Administrator

There's really only one answer to "What is your book about?", Cyn:

You give them a massive, beaming, cheeky smile and reply, "Why don't you buy it and find out!"

Having the "brass neck" to actually say it in this manner will reap its own rewards, trust me

Jayne
Unread 09-29-2014, 02:40 PM

not sure my neck is brassy enough, Jayne!
Unread 09-29-2014, 02:53 PM

Having the authors appear without the benefit of an accompanying reading sounds extremely strange unless you're already a household name (somewhere other than your own household.) Why an individual would buy the book simply because you're smiling (hopefully, even if it makes your teeth ache) and there escapes me If anybody does purchase the book, please do me a favor and pass on my name.

Getting to your problem, anybody thick enough (I'm sorry, but the concept of buying poetry based on somebody's appearance at a table really weirds me out) to consider buy the book based on what you describe, probably would be influenced by a discussion. And if you can steer the discussion in such a manner that you can actually crack open the book and read a short poem - or at least a few lines - I think that can be very effective. I can't tell you what to say because I don't know what makes you tick, but if it was me I would indicate that much of my poetry is narrative, that I harvest my life for subject matter but then twist and distort it as needed for the sake of the poem, and that most of what I write is either in a received form, or influenced by form. Given that much, it's easy to say, "For example..." and lay a poem on them.

Form is very helpful for that kind of discussion because it enable you to show clearly what you're up to. I don't believe you're as form-driven as I am, but pick out some other strength you feel you have - sonics, or images, for example - and work with that.

And if anybody bites - be sure to give them my name. Free postage for the first ten to respond!
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Go on... go for it, Cyn! It's a disarming, light-hearted response. People are very likely to smile and get their wallets out. (If they don't, and walk away, just shrug it off.)

Another similar reply is: "Well, there's one way to find out...!!"

Or... if you want to be less frivolous than I've suggested just say something like, "Thank you for asking. I've covered quite a few topics, actually; this poem, for instance, on page 10 is about blah blah blah, while this one on page 23 is quite a contrast and is about blah blah blah..."

Enjoy the experience rather than dread it. Your work is on display so be proud that you're there to talk about it. Doesn't matter that much what you say... if they're going to buy your book, they will. And if they don't, it's their loss.

Good luck. I'm sure it will be much better than you think right now

Jayne
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:04 PM

Same misgivings here Michael. Most of the authors will be hawking books of fiction, maybe a memoir or two.

Love the idea of asking if I can read someone a poem or part of one based on something I have told them. I think I can do that.

The book store sold out of my books at the launch/reading (but that was I am certain because of how I read and what I read given the audience) and I think the book store is thinking I can just "sell" my books by talking to people. I am definitely not convinced and I think I have already saturated this tiny market. Poetry is a hard enough sell as it is so I suspect I will be twiddling my thumbs for 2 hours. If nothing else I might meet a couple of other authors.

yup, the whole thing weirds me out too
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:09 PM

Thanks Jayne

The authors will be bookless (except for a sample copy) and the books will all be sold at the Book Store's "table".

This all takes place in a public market.

I guess the bad part about that is they won't feel guilted into buying the book so won't and I guess the good thing is I don't have to make them feel uncomfortable. (which makes *me* uncomfortable)

I am sure it will not be an afternoon from hell - just probably a bit boring and uncomfortable - but I like both your and Michael's suggestions about using poems in my book to talk about.
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM

this just posted on FB and other media

One lone poet and a PILE of other authors. sigh

http://www.abookforallseasons.com/pybus-4oct14
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
One lone poet and a PILE of other authors. sigh
Alternatively...

"A pile of other authors, but I'm the only poet.... Yippee!!!"
Unread 09-29-2014, 06:01 PM

It wouldn’t be fighting fair, but…would they let you bring a puppy? It sounds like a nice bookstore. Or…I don’t know…maybe you could bring photos or other objects from places that relate somehow to your poems, if appropriate. I’m a great believer in visual and tactile aids.

Actually, I think it’s possible you might draw a few sales from this type of crowd: someone just looking to buy a gift for a friend or relative (Christmas is only 3 months off, and—like Jayne says--you’ll be the only poet there!), or possibly someone who’s just showing up to “support local authors”. Heck, one of your fellow authors might even buy a copy. You never know. Finally, it should be mentioned that some people who like poetry dread going to public poetry readings (I met one such person just the other day).

Good luck with this, Cyn. I hope the store sells lots of your books and that you have a good time talking to folks. If nothing else, you could view this event as an educational outreach on behalf of good poetry!