Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-07-2014, 04:36 PM

Default Strictly insects?

Hi, I just wanted to check whether the term 'insect' will be rigorously applied (i.e. members of zoological Class Insecta only).
I feel that as this theme has been specified, it would be unfair to purists to find non-insects - spiders, millipedes, centipedes, crustaceans etc. - intruding here (excellent though they all are, in their own ways!)
On the other hand, if a looser more colloquial interpretation is perhaps intended, then could this be made plain at the outset?
Thanks!
Unread 09-07-2014, 09:29 PM

Alex,

I can find poems, and work on translating one, for the exercise sounds like fun, but what are you expecting in an English prose crib?

Thanks,

Paddy
Unread 09-12-2014, 04:37 PM

Sorry, I've neglected this thread.

Yes, Graham, when I made the rules I specified INSECTS. So Class Insecta it is. Larval forms of insects (e.g., caterpillars, maggots, glowworms) are okay, but the critter in the poem should have six legs in its adult form. No spiders. No centipedes. There has been more tolerance of diversity on the "Musing on Mastery" thread (although I've grumbled about it), but I'm going to be persnickety for the Translation Bake-Off. Bwahahahaha! Feel the power of my pedantry!

If anyone has already submitted a non-insect translation to the Bake-Off, he or she may withdraw it and submit an insect-themed translation before the deadline. Go ahead and post non-insect translations for comment on the Translation Board anytime, if you like, but don't enter them in this year's Bake-Off.

Paddy, an English prose crib is a literal, unpoetic translation of a poem in another language, to help people who don't understand the original language to understand what has been included and/or left out in the English verse translation. If we didn't do this, only Russian speakers would be able to comment intelligently on verse translations from Russian, etc. Providing an English prose crib keeps the translators more honest, by giving everybody a shot at understanding if someone's verse translation is taking too many liberties with the text. It's also useful to point out difficult spots in the text, in which a word or phrase might mean more than one thing; then readers can see which of several options the translator chose. You can see examples of English prose cribs in the threads on the Translation Board.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 09-12-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Unread 09-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Julie,

Thank you so much for the explanation.

I have already created an English prose crib then. Now the trick will be to get the poem written by 23rd...a tall order given that work is keeping me extremely busy.

:-(

Paddy
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Wow, tomorrow is the big day. I can hardly wait.

added in: Or maybe today? But tomorrow for me. And the other European folks.

September Equinox (Autumnal Equinox) is on Tuesday, 23 September 2014, 04:29 in Stockholm. Unless we get permission to stay up all night.

Last edited by Janice D. Soderling; 09-22-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Unread 09-22-2014, 03:47 PM

If folks are still planning to enter, they had better shake a leg! (Or six.)

On my part of the planet, the deadline will be today (Monday, September 22, 2014) at 7:29 PM (19:29) PDT.

(The EDT time given in the first message in this thread says 10:29, but there should be a PM after that. I.e., 22:29.)

That's when I'll be posting the text for the secondary event.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 09-22-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Unread 09-22-2014, 05:40 PM

all this nail-biting, waiting for your equinox to roll around! pfffft....
Unread 09-26-2014, 11:39 PM

Okay, I've made a slight change to the rules of the secondary event, which was to translate a bee-themed poem by Meleager from Ancient Greek to contemporary English).

You now have to translate it from Ancient Greek to Korean.

Just kidding, it's not that big a change in the rules, but this being Eratosphere, I'm sure several of you won't be happy about it. Anyway, details here.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 09-26-2014 at 11:46 PM.