Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-20-2012, 11:27 AM

Default Regarding Donaghy

Howdy all,

I'm doing that new kid thing and exploring the sphere, have made a point so far not to post any non-review posts but this forum intrigues me, and I've got a very real question I'd appreciate some masterful assistance with. I've spent some considerable time trying to dig up any real body of poetry from Michael Donaghy, or any critical considerations of his work and style (I stopped in every bookstore I passed when I was in Britain last summer, couldn't find the Collected anywhere. I felt like the trip was a failure). There are a handful of available poems through the Poetry Foundation archives, apparently the more famous ones, and a Jstor search yields a little more material, but the pickings are still pretty sparse. Other than obituaries the only kind of real criticism I've found so far has been a lecture (admittedly engaging, I probably shouldn’t complain) by a Sean O’Brien. Appetite’s whetted.

Anyways, this looks like the kind of place that might encourage that sort of inquiry. I know a lot of you knew him personally as well, of course. If anyone has any leads or has any articles they might direct me towards (I don't know, can we upload PDFs or something on here - ?), or just feels like posting something off-the-cuff, I'd be very appreciative. It's pretty clear to me that Donaghy needs to be a part at least of my curriculum (as it were), and self-education can be a bit of a slough when there’s nothing to study from.

Loads of thanks, hope this is an appropriate sort of query/post for the forum. !

Robert
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM

I suspect you'll receive a good deal of response. Michael had a great many friends and admirers on the Sphere, and many of us knew him personally from encounters at the WCU seminar, where Michael's magnificent readings were a highlight whenever he attended.

I don't know if you get The Dark Horse, but here's a David Mason essay from a few years back - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/28835339...-my-generation

Here's a link to a good Sphere thread on Michael, and if you use our Search function, you can find many more.
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:50 PM

Welcome, Robert, and by now you may have figured this much out, but in case it saves you time, I'll toss it out. The local experts Donaghy here have been Katy Evans-Bush and Clay Stockton, and though they're here only rarely these days, you may be able to contact them via PM or Facebook. If memory serves, there is a section of one of Tim Murphy's books devoted to Donaghy, so ask Tim also.

I've just looked at Amazon.co.uk, and I seem to see copies not only of the Collected but the individual books--Shibboleth, Conjure, Safest, and The Shape of the Dance--some of them very inexpensive.

Michael Cantor's suggestion to use the search feature is a good one.
Unread 04-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Robert, if you pm me your email, I'll send you my essay. It was published in the Alabama Lit Review but is not yet available in book form.
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM

Michael, Maryann, thank you so much for those leads - I actually cannot believe the amount of material that's pulled up! My weekend has been spent mostly drowned in various Things Donaghy...
Sadly, Amazon's not really an option for me at the moment, lacking as I do a real address... but these are only ever temporary issues, right? Tim, I'm pming you my address right now. Thank you all again!

Robert
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Collected Works is available electronically from Amazon. No physical address necessary. You can download it to pc or MAC. or a tablet if you ave one.
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM

Robert,

Welcome. I believe that there's a recording of Michael reading his work in the archives of West Chester University. I could swear I head it at the conference, maybe five years ago? Brilliant. We should all read so well.