Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Default Criticism

CRITICISM

I am looking to expand my horizons on issues in the writing of critical essays on the most current, the always with ij, and poetry in general. I have read the Perloff review and am now reading the book, and I must say not with relish or enjoyment. Who are her esteemed colleagues that I should read, plus o any oher critics, particularly not with an academic viewopoint?

I am doing personal research but thought I would ask for assistance. Although I write poetry and fiction,. I do not delude myself as I know my skills ae best used as a critic and.or editor, but I need to do the background work, Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Vernon

Last edited by Vernon Sims; 05-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Vernon,

I don't wish to be unkind, but while we're on the subject of 'criticism' I recommend that you start by editing out all your typos; these two paragraphs are absolutely riddled with them. Even the thread title is misspelt.
Attention to detail is an important first step in your research.

Jayne
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:22 PM

Default Criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
Vernon,

I don't wish to be unkind, but while we're on the subject of 'criticism' I recommend that you start by editing out all your typos; these two paragraphs are absolutely riddled with them. Even the thread title is misspelt.
Attention to detail is an important first step in your research.

Jayne
Excellent advice and I am working hard to do that. I have Parkinsons Disease and there are days when I honestly, without intention, make more mistakes than others, and do not see them even when I proofread and I now know that I cannot always rely on spellcheckers, but I do not offer that as an excuse, just information. There is no excuse and I do not expect to be held to a different standard. I realize that it makes me an easy target if I don't rise to the occasion. So, I thank you for pointing out my failings and hope that you can make some suggestions.

Yours most apologetically,

Vernon
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:36 PM

You must have read enough critical essays to decide that you want to write some of your own. Who do you like?

I like criticism by poets most. Wilbur, Snodgrass. "The Situation of Poetry" by Pinsky. I also like Christopher Ricks.
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Vernon,

I had no idea about your condition, so thank you for bringing it out into the open. I'd even thought that perhaps you were a bit tipsy when you started this thread, so it's my turn to apologise!

Although a good friend of mine also has Parkinsons, I don't know too much about it, but I admire you for wanting to expand your horizons.

Perhaps you should avoid taking on anything too onerous though, Vernon, regarding writing critical essays etc, keeping your health in mind, I mean.
I'd be happy to do some proof-reading for you if it would help.

Jayne

PS. I've corrected that mistake in the thread title
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Osborn View Post
Vernon,

I had no idea about your condition, so thank you for bringing it out into the open. I'd even thought that perhaps you were a bit tipsy when you started this thread, so it's my turn to apologise!

Although a good friend of mine also has Parkinsons, I don't know too much about it, but I admire you for wanting to expand your horizons.

Perhaps you should avoid taking on anything too onerous though, Vernon, regarding writing critical essays etc, keeping your health in mind, I mean.
I'd be happy to do some proof-reading for you if it would help.

Jayne

PS. I've corrected that mistake in the thread title
It was no problem, Jayne. I carry a card from my doctor stating I AM NOT INTOXICATED and I use it often

When I was a young man, I wanted nothing but to write poetry. So I did for a time, submitting to magazines etc, I to this day treasure a handwritten note of encouragement from John Ciardi, but I didn't listen. I gave up. So, as is age appropriate, I've decided to become a critic!

So, don't fret.

As a side note, my doctor and I call Paikinsons the disease of the invisible, because when you have it, it is all that people often see. They no longer see you. But that will not happen to me.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to tell my story.
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Slater View Post
You must have read enough critical essays to decide that you want to write some of your own. Who do you like?

I like criticism by poets most. Wilbur, Snodgrass. "The Situation of Poetry" by Pinsky. I also like Christopher Ricks.
I think poets are the most qualified. I've read a good bit of Stephen Spender, IA Richards, and Perloff, Paz, Naruda, Fuentes, Garcia-Lorca.

I will look at your suggestions, Thanks.
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:57 PM

Vernon,

I recommend two magazines run by Spherans:

The New Criterion and Critical Poetry Review. TNC has criticism and reviews and CPR is nothing but.

Also one can't forget William Logan.

Enjoy!
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:09 AM

Can Poetry Matter? by Dana Gioia is a must-read. It was reissued not too long ago by Graywolf Press. Also, I think it's good to read criticism that's not contemporary, to see out of the frame of the present. T S. Eliot's essays are still great reading (as you probably already know), and another very readable and simpatico critic from that time is the Scottish poet Edwin Muir. Good luck.
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:50 AM

Some more fine poet-critics: Auden (one of the greatest), Michael Donaghy, James Fenton, Rachel Hadas, David Mason..