Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-14-2016, 05:48 PM

Default Books for kids on writing poetry?

I'd like to buy my niece on a book on writing poetry for her birthday. She'll be 9, and likes poetry. (Most recently she's been enjoying Belloc's Cautionary Tales). So far I've come across two:

Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to Write a Poem by Jack Prelutsky, which seems to more a selection of subject-matter prompts than offering any sort of "how to" advice.

Roller Coaster: A Kid's Guide on How to Writing Poetry by Cassidy Cao. Written and illustrated by an 8-year old, introducing and illustrating a variety of rhymed and unrhymed forms. I'm currently leaning toward this one.

If you can give me feedback on either of the above (I've only seen them online), or can point me at any other additional titles, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt
Unread 09-15-2016, 08:05 AM

Best bought as a pair, Gerard Benson's books "Does W Trouble You?" and "This Poem Doesn't Rhyme".

I've always found Prelutsky a bit down-dumbing and your niece seems way beyond the "lowest-common-denominator" stuff. I haven't seen the other one - but it does sound interesting.
Unread 09-15-2016, 09:13 AM

I can't personally vouch for it, but some years ago there was a popular book by Kenneth Koch called Rose, Where Did You Get That Red?. I suspect it didn't have much to do with teaching nuts and bolts like rhyme and meter, but was more about appreciation and prompts, but you may want to check it out.
Unread 09-15-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Q View Post
Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to Write a Poem by Jack Prelutsky, which seems to more a selection of subject-matter prompts than offering any sort of "how to" advice.
I've been reading poems to my kids and that explains a lot. Prelutsky could use a how-to book himself.
Unread 09-15-2016, 12:45 PM

I've used sections of Stephen Fry's very entertaining The Ode Less Travelled to teach middle school kids the principles of meter. Obviously the whole thing would be a bit of a slog (not to mention a bit off-color in places) for that age, but they particularly liked his examples of single lines of IP, and enjoyed creating their own.

Whatever book you decide on, maybe you could give her a copy to her and keep a copy for yourself, and then every few weeks you could suggest reading a particular section and exchanging the examples you come up with.

The opportunity to do something fun with you would probably be a more special gift than just a book alone.
Unread 09-15-2016, 01:59 PM

I just looked at Poetry Matters by Ralph Fletcher at Goodreads and it has nearly 250 very positive reviews as a source for teaching children poetry. I haven't seen the book, but you might take a look at Goodreads and Amazon.
Unread 09-17-2016, 07:04 PM

Back in 1961, in 5th grade, I bought a paperback copy of "The Arrow Book of Funny Poems" from the Scholastic Book Service (students would order and pay for the books they wanted from a list sent to the school, and the books would be shipped to the school, and distributed to the appropriate students).

It was the best 35 cents I ever spent. I had memorized about half of the poems in the book by the end of the year. I think this book was in print for about 10 years, and used copies can be found on the internet used book sites, ebay, etc. (Too bad somebody does not reissue it).

It is not a book on writing poems per se, (the ones mentioned by others above are good suggestions). But, after reading one or two of those, your niece probably will get a real kick out of reading "The Arrow Book of Funny Poems" .

Last edited by Douglas G. Brown; 09-17-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Unread 09-18-2016, 06:35 AM

Thanks everyone,

I think I'm now covered for both birthday and Christmas.

Ann, those two books look good and I can get them pretty much for the price of the postage, which is a bonus. Ann and Max, thanks for the warning on Prelutsky. Roger, the Koch book sounds great but seems to be for teachers as far as I can see. Julie, Fry's in excellent book from which I first learnt to write in metre. Maybe something we can start on in a year two. And yes, I've been thinking about how to involve myself as she learns. Douglas, I've located a second-hand copy of that book, which sounds fun. Ralph, Poetry Matters sounds good, I wish I could get a look inside though.

Thanks again all,

Matt

Last edited by Matt Q; 09-18-2016 at 09:27 AM.