Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-06-2014, 06:00 PM

Default Frank Osen, David Rosenthal & B.H. Fairchild.

Dear Friends,

There's a lot going on for National Poetry Month here in Los Angeles but there's one event I do hope you won't miss.

It's at Beyond Baroque in Venice, CA next Sunday, April 13 at 8 p.m. with three fabulous poets, Frank Osen, David Rosenthal and B. H. Fairchild.

And, as it happens, I will be hosting it! (So that's three Sphereans plus one.)

As you all know, Frank Osen’s first book, Virtue, Big as Sin, was awarded the 2012 Able Muse Book prize by Mary Jo Salter and was published by Able Muse in 2013.

David Rosenthal’s debut collection, The Wild Geography of Misplaced Things, was released in 2103 by White Violet Press.

B. H. Fairchild’s seventh book, The Blue Buick: New and Selected Poems, will be appearing from W.W. Norton in July, 2014. His other books of poetry include The Art of the Lathe, which was a finalist for the National Book Award, and the winner of at least seven other major awards.

Here is the link to Beyond Baroque: http://www.beyondbaroque.org/

I do hope some of you who live nearby will be able to make it!

All best,
Charlotte
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:01 PM

It's announcements like this that make me wish California weren't so big! I'm unwilling to drive both ways in one day--although it's tempting--and prevented by circumstance from attending otherwise. But it sounds like a fantastic event, and I hope those down south turn out in force and have a great time.
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Simon, thanks for this support. I really appreciate it.

I did just send out a massive e-mailing, plus Facebook, etc. However, I just found out that the LAT Times Book Fair is that weekend. So.... Fingers crossed!

Charlotte
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:25 AM

This will be great, Charlotte. David told me about it when I saw him last week. I'd love to go back out. His book is wonderful. And he's done so much for us up in the Bay Area. I would really love to hear him.

I have never heard Frank read, but those who have (at David's formal series) say he's great. Of course, we've all read his work.

B.H. Fairchild has a lot of books, so....

Good luck to all

Rick
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:42 AM

All this sounds so wonderful that I wish I could bilocate! Dang pesky human limitations. Wishing you all a great audience, an excellent venue, and a lovely time.
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Thank you, Rick and Maryann! I do wish I could beam you both here for the reading.

I was ecstatic when Beyond Baroque agreed to let this happen. David definitely deserves the exposure. I love his book. And Frank IS a great performer, as well as a wonderful poet. I read with him in David's series, actually.

And yes, I'm hoping that B. H. Fairchild (or Pete, as he calls himself) will draw the crowds... But I've also loved his work for a long time. In fact, he's been one of those seminal poets for me. Those of you who don't know his poetry should give it a try. Plus, he's a sweet, generous guy, with a wonderful wry sense of humor. He came to speak and read to my students a few years ago, and was a hit!

Charlotte
Unread 04-11-2014, 12:59 AM

Just giving this a bump, since it's this coming Sunday. And it's a big moment for Frank and David.

I know one or two poets/Spherians will be there. More would be very welcome!

Charlotte
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:27 AM

Just to let everyone know we had a great event tonight! I was afraid no-one would come because of the LA Times Book Fair, and numerous other poetry events, but we had a decent crowd for David Rosenthal, Frank Osen and Pete Fairchild--who were absolutely wonderful. I heard someone say it was the best reading he'd ever been to at Beyond Baroque!

Charlotte
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Would have loved to have been there. Geography can be such a pain!
Unread 04-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Not surprised someone would say it was the best Beyond Baroque, with that excellent line-up, Charlotte! Only a few thousand miles away...