Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-08-2016, 10:34 PM

Cows are flying. Dogs and cats are living together. I think Pence is gonna' win.
Unread 11-09-2016, 12:30 AM

At 6.30 UK time it appears Trump is going to win. It's like Brexit, ain't it? All the commentators are wrong. But don't wait for them to aplogise.
Unread 11-09-2016, 12:58 AM

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes, John.
Unread 11-09-2016, 01:42 AM

Yes, John. It's like Brexit. I'm feeling exactly the same as I did then. But let us not rehash that disaster in the face of the bigliness of this one. After a long night of tea and wireless, I, too, am America.
Unread 11-09-2016, 02:27 AM

Ah well, Ann. I have a different take on that. But I see the sun is still shining (metaphorically) and the sky has not fallen in and there are some upsides for us, though I won't speak about them now.

Oh, and the Donald is making boring statesmanlike noises.

Remember, he is not the stupidest President America has had lately (Dubbya takes that honour), nor the most sexually immoral (step forward JFK). And if he is very very rich well, so are they all. And if he pays no taxes, neither do all those EU Presidents.
Unread 11-09-2016, 05:33 AM

The know-nothing pundits got it wrong again. About Brexit and Trump. Typical pinheads with their polls and numbers, which I never trusted.

The power of right-wing populism has won again. AND, the Republicans dominate Congress with a Republican president.

The chattering classes weep. The forces of reaction have won. I'm not celebrating but it's worth noting that history just came up from behind and bit us on the ass!

As a side note, the servers at Canada's immigration offices were down shortly after it was realized Trump was winning! Soon, Canada will have to build a wall....

Last edited by Don Jones; 11-09-2016 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Revised
Unread 11-09-2016, 06:44 AM

John,

"Remember, he is not the stupidest President America has had lately (Dubbya takes that honour), nor the most sexually immoral (step forward JFK). And if he is very very rich well, so are they all. And if he pays no taxes, neither do all those EU Presidents. "

I beg to differ. Dubbya did learn to fly a fighter jet, and did it well. I think his dumbness was mostly acting. Warren Harding is my pick for the dumbest. He had the odd good luck to die before his scandals erupted.

More recently, there was LBJ, who failed to heed MacArthur's dictum to never get involved a land war in Asia. He underestimated the will of the Vietnamese people to defend their homeland, who had been fending off the Chinese for about a thousand years. Still, he could have won a second term, but foolishly chose not to run. This opened the door to Nixon's victory,
to the chagrin of Johnson's Democrat party.

And, Bill Clinton has more of the sexual predator quality to him than JFK did. JFK had the bad judgment to shag the girlfriend of a major Mafioso, which may have led to his untimely demise.

The big question;

Assuming that a briefcase will hold a million dollar's worth of hundred dollar bills, how many briefcases will Mrs. Clinton have to hand over to Mr. Obama, to assure she gets a full pardon on his last day in office?

My guess is at least 3.

Last edited by Douglas G. Brown; 11-09-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Unread 11-09-2016, 07:45 AM

The abyss I am staring into is empty of everything but shame.

Last edited by R. Nemo Hill; 11-09-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Unread 11-09-2016, 08:51 AM

JFK was serially unfaithful to the wife he married for her class. Didn't he say that he got itchy if he didn't get a shag reularly, or words to that effect.

Dubbya was the man who didn't know there were Sunnis and Shias in Iraq and that they really didn't get on. As two short planks.

Trump will do OK. We would do well not to crow. After all, two recent Prime Ministers were the war criminal Blair and the destroyer of mobile phones, Brown.
Unread 11-09-2016, 08:53 AM

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/where/