Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-30-2016, 06:40 PM

I direct children in stage plays and we periodically put on Peter Pan. There's a scene where the Lost Boys shoot down Wendy with a bow and arrow. It's scripted for the boys to shout, "Zing!" as they shoot.
Unread 12-30-2016, 07:04 PM

The entrancing lead-in hook of Beatles' Come Together is "shoot me" sung almost onomatopoetically.
Unread 12-30-2016, 09:32 PM

Besides John's Odyssey suggestion in post 4, there's another at least as rich at the start of the Iliad, where Apollo Farshot uses his silver bow to answer prayer. The following version uses "twang", but look at the sound in the Greek (see the Perseus site), and compare Gavin Douglas's version with other translations. To aid finding the quote, it's early in Book One.

"[43] So he spoke in prayer, and Phoebus Apollo heard him. Down from the peaks of Olympus he strode, angered at heart, bearing on his shoulders his bow and covered quiver. The arrows rattled on the shoulders of the angry god as he moved, and his coming was like the night. Then he sat down apart from the ships and let fly an arrow: terrible was the twang of the silver bow. The mules he assailed first and the swift dogs, but then on the men themselves he let fly his stinging shafts, and struck; and constantly the pyres of the dead burned thick."

PS I'm away from my reference books, and think I am mistaken about Gavin Douglas and the Iliad. George Chapman is the man to try, and then of course the actual Greek word for a really old and "pure" guide to appropriate English.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 12-30-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Unread 12-30-2016, 11:52 PM

LOL, Allen, I looked it up, based on your lead, and Homer says "clang!"

Actually, it's two syllables: κλαγγὴ "klangē," with the accent on the ē. (The first gamma in a double gamma combo gets pronounced as a nu.)

Interesting that the "ng" appears in so many of these options--twang, zing, and clang. (Although the idea of Jim's Lost Boys using Charlie's advice in performance has a certain appeal, too.)
Unread 12-31-2016, 04:54 AM

The ng is the residual shudder of the bow after the arrow has been sent out of sight to become, somewhere, rain.
Unread 12-31-2016, 06:00 AM
Distinguished Guest

I second Susan -- "twang."
Unread 12-31-2016, 06:11 AM

Michael: "To be as clear as I should have been initially, the context of the line being translated strongly suggests that it is the sound made by a newly strung bow"

That's a whole different sound! More of a thudding sound or thumping sound. I'm imagining the fingers pulling the bowstring and then releasing. In my mind definitely a "th" sound.
Unread 12-31-2016, 09:00 AM

You rock, Julie. I love it. That final eta makes it real. Mobs of scholars think that the Iliad as we have it is the result of a longish process of recitation and oral editing in front of knowledgeable and critical audiences. So, "clanga" is meat, not potatoes. I think Drysdale is a cryptolarkinophilic elf. Good Larkin too!

[link removed]

Last edited by Allen Tice; 12-31-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Unread 12-31-2016, 10:48 AM

Allen - I clicked on that justjohnwright link you provided and (a) couldn't find it, and (b) my Avast virus warning system had a shit fit, with flashing lights and a threat has been detected notice. This is how John Podesta was hacked. Is Putin going after formal poets now? Or are you the man behind the men who man the leak-machine? Check the link.
Unread 12-31-2016, 11:31 AM

My Grover Whizz iPod with Halfvast U loads it Ok. I don't recommend that you pull the thread unless are you're sitting in an armchair to prevent collateral damage. Who is this Putin you are going on about? Is he related to Bubba Ram Dass the Love Sponge?