Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-05-2002, 08:30 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Let me add my encomia to Jerry's. Working with Jim, both at the Deep End and on the Classic Jokes, has been the greatest fun I've had at the Sphere. "Toasting Anti-gravity" is a riot and a welcome change from the usual gloomy fare in the e-book series. Warmest congratulations to the Hayes.
Unread 10-06-2002, 02:01 AM

This is an extraordinary experience- being included in a grouping of poets whose level of artistry I had long admired but could only dream of reaching.

When the Classic Jokes project was first mooted and Tim's 'Karma' poem and Richard Wakefield's 'Bear Country' were posted, I thought they were both the best works I had ever read in the genre. I still think so, and now, how good I feel to be in a series alongside them and to bask in the company of such excellent practitioners as Jerry Jenkins, David Anthony, Rhina Espaillat and Tony Lombardy.

My sincere thanks To Tim Murphy, who has been friend and mentor to me and to Leo for his foresight and committment to this wonderful series.

Jim

Unread 10-07-2002, 02:53 AM
Lariat Emeritus

It gives me great pleasure to say that I have just sent The New Formalist terrific manuscripts by OUR John Beaton and by Suzanne Doyle, a future guest Lariat. I'll post again when they are up and viewable.
Unread 10-08-2002, 11:55 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Alan and Guest Lariat Dick Davis and I have been working with Suzanne Doyle on her Collected Poems. Suzanne allowed me to select 18 poems for the New Formalist's e-book. It's up now, and you can link to it at the aforementioned URL. Suffice it to say, we all think her one of the foremost poets writing in English, and we particularly urge the Sphere's talented women to study this tiny selection. Suzanne has been out of print for a decade, and it is a thrill to bring you this small preview of her Collected. Many of the poems you've already seen at www.poemtree.com, but many of these poems will be new to you.

I'm also pleased to report that Dick Davis has generously given me permission to assemble a similarly-sized chapbook from his seven distinguished volumes of verse. Erato Rules. yr lariat, Timothy

PS. I've revised the topic title to reflect the received and expected e-books. Here is Dick Davis' comment on Doyle:

"Suzanne Doyle's poems are operatic in the best sense, and to read them is like say hearing Renée Fleming sing one of Donizetti's more extreme heroines; such raw, convulsive emotion conveyed to us by such flawless control and technique. The grandest themes are here (eros, loss, regret, you name them . . .), and the artistry is all but impeccable. If there's a better poet writing now I haven't read her / his work."

Unread 10-10-2002, 06:55 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Hate to follow my own post (Where ARE you people on Suzanne Doyle?) We're putting these things up so fast, I just finally got round to reading Jerry Jenkin's little book. Folks, it's really distinguished. Jerry was disentangling himself from the Sphere as I was getting involved, although I am delighted to see him becoming so active again. I urge everyone to read his chapbook with great care. It floored Rhina, and it has floored me.

I have done the impossible, selecting 20 pages from the enormous oeuvre of OUR Dick Davis. And I have persuaded OUR master of memory, Robert Mezey, to give us a little chapbook of his masterly sonnets. And OUR Clive Watkins has been asked for a book. That will bring us to twelve. And who knows where the next dozen will come from? Safe to say, many of them from OUR ranks. Erato Rules.
Unread 10-10-2002, 08:25 PM

Tim,

I’m still reading Suzanne Doyle’s fine work and will comment later.

For now, I just wanted to acknowledge with gratitude your generous remarks on my collection. The collections posted so far are an inspiration for me, and maybe to all of us, to write as well as we can. It would be hard to find another collection with the scope and breadth of the poems posted so far. I consider myself very fortunate to be among such fine writers, and I thank you for your kind comments.

Can’t wait for the next set of poems. This is Christmas come early.

Jerry
Unread 10-11-2002, 04:46 AM

Tim,

In any gathering of poetic works Suzanne Doyle’s would stand out. These E chapbooks are truly incredible and with Davis, Watkins, Beaton and now Mezey, at least, to come, the collection will be truly awesome. But even in such an august assemblage the Doyle will be an extraordinary and valuable text.

It is truly superb; as has been noted by others, all the emotions are therein, taut and controlled- a joy to read and re-read. It is indeed a humbling experience to be exposed to such mastery of language- ‘Wild Lightening’, the poem from which the chapbook title takes its name, is as beautiful a poem about her nephew as Yeat’s was for his daughter, and ‘Migraine’ is such a skilful telling piece as almost to allow the reader to experience the dread intensity of the affliction.

There are eighteen poems in all expressing love, fear, hope, pain and joy with a technical virtuosity rarely found in such a small collation.

My one fear and reservation is that someday people are bound to look in awe at this whole collection of chapbooks, and when they’ve finished immersing themselves in its undoubted mastery, wonder how the heck I got in. Well, let them- they’ll have a hard job getting me out.

Jim

Unread 10-15-2002, 11:57 AM
Lariat Emeritus

This evening two new chapbooks will be up, OUR John Beaton's and Leo's own. Of all these, I am probably most tickled by Beaton's and Hayes', simply because they have worked so hard at the Sphere, become such invaluable members of the community, and grown so tall in the art.

In other e-book news, I've asked OUR Susan McLean to favor us with a chappie of her outrageously good Catullus translations, and she has graciously agreed.
Unread 10-15-2002, 04:42 PM
Lariat Emeritus

John's wonderfully rumbustious chappie can be viewed here: http://www.newformalist.com/ebooks/beaton.html
Unread 10-15-2002, 05:08 PM

I just visited the site and man, it's a beaut!!

Congrats to all involved!!