Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-09-2017, 02:28 PM

And as - was it The Onion? - pointed out, the French have retained their traditional right to proclaim an annoying intellectual superiority over us Americans as well. We are gold medalists of stupid, as each passing day of this presidency illustrates.
For instance, DT's personal lawyer, in his five-minute cut and run hatchet job, accused Comey of leaking prior to DT's tweet, then lying about it. And the lawyer got his dates wrong.

Our son just shared a friend's joke: May in the UK ended this year in June.

Last edited by John Isbell; 06-09-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Unread 06-09-2017, 08:30 PM

Poor lady is caving in to absurd Lefty pressure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_DCWZk-dhU

And that's the mayor of London, who wants to ban "bikini ads" in the city's transport system? He's more worried about scantily-clad women in advertisements than he is about three terror attacks in three months?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ndon-transport

Oh wait, I forgot. I'm just a white supremacist racist misogynist isolationist Islamophobic bigot, like that crazy nutter, Sam Harris. Never mind. Forget I said anything.

...Now where's that hunky Ben Affleck flick I just gotta see again...

Wow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEnN6k8VZFE

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 06-09-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Unread 06-09-2017, 09:39 PM

The mayor said: "As the father of two teenage girls, I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies. It is high time it came to an end.

"Nobody should feel pressurised, while they travel on the Tube or bus, into unrealistic expectations surrounding their bodies and I want to send a clear message to the advertising industry about this."

Clearly a barbaric mind at work in that mayor. "Dam you, Regressive Left!"

My own daughter recently spit at a similar ad here. And I didn't even know the little sprite was being wooed by radical Islam.
Unread 06-09-2017, 11:15 PM

Quoth John to me this morning at West Chester: "Look, Quincy, I know."

Well, Piers Morgan got it so wrong he might well fit in on American television again.
Unread 06-10-2017, 01:56 AM

[/quote] And that's the mayor of London, who wants to ban "bikini ads" in the city's transport system? He's more worried about scantily-clad women in advertisements than he is about three terror attacks in three months?[/quote]

Shame on Mayor Khan for expressing concern about young girls' body image. Shame on him, too, for thinking this is a more important issue than terrorism. OK, he doesn't actually say so in so many, or indeed any, words, but that just makes the whole thing even more insidious. And yes, the article is a full twelve months old, well before any of this summer's atrocities occurred, but what of it?
Unread 06-10-2017, 02:36 AM

Sharia law by 2025 in U.K. The stupidity on the Left is not even funny anymore.

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 06-10-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Unread 06-10-2017, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William A. Baurle View Post
Sharia law by 2025 in U.K. Notice none of this shit happens in the USA.
Are you serious?

Ah, I see you thought better of the 'Notice none of this shit happens in the USA' bit and removed it. Good for you.

Last edited by Rob Stuart; 06-10-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Unread 06-10-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William A. Baurle View Post
Sharia law by 2025 in U.K. The stupidity on the Left is not even funny anymore.
Oh Bill. It's not like that (or as set out, at much greater length, in your previous post) at all. It really isn't.

What puzzles me is why you seem to have this pressing need to persuade yourself that it is. I'd have thought there was more than enough going on in the US for you to worry about, rather than indulging in ill-informed fantasies about another country.

This is said in all amity.

Cheers

David
Unread 06-10-2017, 05:12 AM
Distinguished Guest Host

In Scotland the nationalists lost 21 of their 56 seats, 12 of them to the Conservatives. So without Scotland Mrs May would have been unable to form a government.
Unread 06-10-2017, 05:59 AM

With your customary solicitude for the peoples of Scotland to the fore, David, you have hit upon a bitter but limited truth. When the Tories' notorious EVEL is taken into account there are going to be many issues on which she will not command a majority - even with her deplorable alliance with the DUP.

For the benefit of members furth of these islands, the DUP has its origins in the unionist paramilitary past of the province mixed with the bigotry of the late Ian Paisley's fundamentalist unionists. They have parliamentary members who believe in 'creationism' (including an earth 4,000 years old) and would like it 'taught' in schools; they oppose abortion and equal marriage; they are climate change sceptics at best and some are deniers; they are 'Brexit' supporters (unlike the majority of people in the province); they are mired in a financial scandal which has had the effect of bringing the Northern Ireland Assembly to suspension and made their leader a person with whom Sinn Fein cannot share power - an essential for the continuation of the peace process.

The British government is supposed, along with the Irish government, to act as arbiter of the resolution of the current impasse at Stormont (the seat of the Assembly). It clearly can never be trusted in this role if its very survival depends on the loyal (pun unintended) support of one of the two parties to the dispute. The Tory/DUP alliance to give May a semi-majority (see the first point in this post) is not only an insult to the democratic process which May needlessly called into motion by her 'snap' election - but it is also displays bone-headed disregard for the complexity of the ballooning challenges of 'Brexit' and, perhaps worst of all, fatally undermines one side's trust in the peace process.

This is behaviour for which the words unprincipled and irresponsible were fashioned.