Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-21-2017, 07:06 PM

It pays to scam advertising, at least on Amazon. I see something I like (say $500 Italian shoes or a $3K smart TV). I go back and click to see it, over and over, even when they drop the ads into Yahoo. Be patient. The price will change, especially around holidays. The algorithms are watching! The prices go down, but be patient—for $90 Italian shoes; $1500 for the TV, nice table, 3-D glasses, and recorder. Merry Christmas!

Their greed will exceed your.

Last edited by RCL; 05-21-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Unread 05-21-2017, 07:25 PM

Poetry isn’t copywriting; if you can’t believe in the thing you’re writing about, it will sound fake. In poetry (as in sex) you can fake it, but the other party will know.- Jo Bell, poet

That's the way it is! Thank you for that Ann.

With poetry in the mix there are endless possibilities for change. I can relate to Jo's experience that a company hired her to express poetically their company mission and culture. I had something of a similar experience when I was in the process of selling an education company I had founded and needed to know if the interested buyer was one that I felt I could work for. The thing that cemented it for me was the meeting I had with the company's VP of education and curriculum development. He was astonishingly literate and poetic and passionate about quality education. He blew me away. It turned out to be the right choice. If every company had to pass a poetic interpretation test we might see a more compassionate form of capitalism. Wouldn't that be loverly?

From time to time (this time being the most recent) I feel like I expose myself for being what others might call gullible or naive or just plain "too lazy to see the truth behind the facade" when in fact it's not that I fail to see it, but I choose to look beyond it; I look for the poetry that is everywhere waiting. I don't always find it.
Thanks for being so open.
Oh, and the music in the vid was a little over the top

Bill, thanks for checking in -- I'm glad but not surprised that you see the video as I see it. You have not an ounce of political correctness (the bad kind) in you, do you? - congratulations on that. I'm still working on it. Left wing needs a right wing to fly, donnit? Ha!
Unread 05-21-2017, 07:35 PM

Every now and then there's an ad that is "art," usually because it leaves the brand name for the end, as an afterthought. I still remember a Pepsi commercial that featured Ladysmith Black Mambaza's lovely song, "Beautiful Rain." The song played as images of falling rain filled the screen. For a full minute, it had nothing to do with Pepsi or anything commercial. Then, for just a second or two at the end, words on the screen quietly told us that we had Pepsi to thank for what we had just seen and heard. (I can't find the commercial on YouTube, but the song is there is you don't kow it).
Unread 05-21-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moonan View Post
Bill, thanks for checking in -- I'm glad but not surprised that you see the video as I see it. You have not an ounce of political correctness (the bad kind) in you, do you? - congratulations on that. I'm still working on it. Left wing needs a right wing to fly, donnit? Ha!

Indeed. It's all about balance.

Nature is all about balance, and the greatest teachers took the middle path, like Guatama Buddha and that famous Jewish carpenter from somewhere over there in the desert places...oh what's His name...dammit, that memory of mine! (The Guy who died between 2 thieves, in the middle...)

Geometry starts with a Point. The Point in the middle: that's where the Troof is, the God's honest Troof. Julian of Norwich, who said that "All manner of things shall be well", wrote much about the Point.

A point, from which one draws a Line.

Points & Lines; zeroes & ones.

0 1

O _

Now what was my point?

I keep forgetting...

I forgot...

Last edited by William A. Baurle; 05-21-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Unread 05-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Some sacrilege: done well, I see similarities between the commercial advertising art form and the poetic art form. The economy of visuals is comparable to a poem’s economy of words, the crystallization of the message, the careful attention to detail, etc.

More sacrilege: I can imagine Yeats’ “Vacillation IV” transposed into a 30-second Starbucks commercial. Forgive me.

Billy Collins has had his poetry animated with good success: https://www.ted.com/talks/billy_coll...caught_in_time

And there is the poet David Whyte who delivers incredibly powerful seminars and presentations to corporations that infuse poetic energy into corporate culture….

But this conversation has digressed. Nicely. I’m surprised. Thank you Marilyn.