Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-24-2017, 06:18 PM

Default Trump poetry contest at NY Times

The New York Times put out a call for poems about Donald Trump. Here's the link. Just passing this along in case it's of interest, e.g. to D&A folks.

Nausheen
Unread 01-24-2017, 08:59 PM

How does one enter?
As a comment?
Unread 01-25-2017, 11:11 AM

Default Dump the Trump!

I see this morning that Andrew Frisardi, Susan McLean and I have anti-Trump verses up at the New York Times contest. I checked yesterday and today; there may be others by our gang.
Unread 01-25-2017, 01:02 PM

Mine's up now. HERE.

old turks

perks
quirks
smirks
irks

jerks

Last edited by Catherine Chandler; 01-25-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Unread 01-26-2017, 08:54 AM

I have seen the poems of Andrew, Catherine, Ralph, and J.D. Smith, but there are so many hundreds of poems posted on the site that I don't have time to read them all (and I have to confess that many of them do not repay reading, especially those in rhyme and meter by people who don't know how to use rhyme and meter). A free-for-all like this can be a public service, a sort of therapeutic venting session, but it is not the place to find good satiric verse. I suspect that its purpose is mainly to lure in new subscribers to the newspaper.

Susan
Unread 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM

I - eventually - found mine, but it was a somewhat mind-numbing search. Not only such a torrent of poor poetry, but such an avalanche of repetition and multiple submission. If the NYT did it for circulation, they - or at least some unfortunate sub-ed. - is certainly going to pay in literary agony for any advantage gained. It will be interesting to see if any 'story/feature' ever emerges from this. I suspect not.
Unread 01-26-2017, 01:53 PM

I just posted a few, though I don't know how long it will take for them to be approved (assuming they will be).
Unread 01-26-2017, 03:29 PM

no reflection on the fine sphereans who have submitted but I do believe Susan sees it clearly as self-casting click-bait
Unread 01-26-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan McLean View Post
I have seen the poems of Andrew, Catherine, Ralph, and J.D. Smith, but there are so many hundreds of poems posted on the site that I don't have time to read them all (and I have to confess that many of them do not repay reading, especially those in rhyme and meter by people who don't know how to use rhyme and meter). A free-for-all like this can be a public service, a sort of therapeutic venting session, but it is not the place to find good satiric verse. I suspect that its purpose is mainly to lure in new subscribers to the newspaper.Susan
Yeah, I came up with two rhyming lines driving to work and posted them. Then quickly wished I had spent some time revising, revising, revising.

Nonetheless, it seems like good fun, and no one is required to buy a subscription. However, if we all start finding our email inboxes filled with solicitations, then we will know what this was all about.

I would like to take Kristof at his word: he's done this before, as he states in his piece. Maybe he wants to see what his readers are thinking. After all, only those who post a comment are reading them, I'll bet.

I feel sorry for the intern reading and posting all of them, if that is what's happening. Of course, I would imagine that the NYT has the money to buy software that searches for key no-no words and then publishes acceptable poems. My submission took twelve hours to show up.

For me, I'm still revising my epigram. I may have something for a long-eared website I know.

Cheers,
Greg
Unread 01-26-2017, 06:04 PM

11/9
=
9/11
=

Last edited by RCL; 01-28-2017 at 07:06 PM.