Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-12-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks so much, Anna. What a joy! The place looks absolutely amazing. And great to see Kim's name. And Marilyn Hacker's!

My tentative question is: will there be scholarships? I hate to ask this so early, but I know I wouldn't be able to afford to go without help. And I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. However, since you're just getting off the ground, I'll understand if not.

Also, the time is very early for people who teach--in high schools, that is, as I do. That's a very busy time, actually.

Otherwise, it sounds SO exciting!

Wishing you the best,
Charlotte
Unread 12-12-2014, 06:08 PM

I did a Google search and found that the conference now has a website. It's wonderful to see this taking shape!

Nausheen
Unread 12-13-2014, 06:55 AM

An announcement of the conference, with a great line-up of speakers, was just posted on the Women Poets Listserv.

Success is the best revenge.
Unread 12-13-2014, 07:12 AM

It looks and sounds good, but I'm waiting to see the price before getting all excited about it. I sure hope it's more affordable than WCU was becoming.
Unread 12-14-2014, 02:24 PM

By the way, I'm sorry if my previous posting seemed grumpy. The conference does sound wonderful. But based on the fairly high ratio of views to posts in this thread (nearly 90 to 1), it might not be far-fetched to imagine that many others are also in a wait-and-see mode. I hope they and I will be able to afford it!
Unread 12-14-2014, 04:01 PM

That totally makes sense, Claudia. I'm just happy that it's happening at all. According to this page, it seems it'll cost about $1060.

Nausheen
Unread 12-14-2014, 05:07 PM

Can't put anything past you lot, can we?

Yes, the Poetry by the Sea website is unofficially online, although some areas are still under construction.

The official launch is Wednesday Dec 17th at noon, which is when registration opens, along with scholarship applications and opportunities for sponsorship. I'm psyched!

It's also worth saying that the conference will be looking for a small number of volunteer staff. These 'runners' will be given food, board and the opportunity to participate in a critical seminar or workshop, and in return will help out with conference management. Anyone who is interested in this route to attendance should contact Kim Bridgford.
Unread 12-14-2014, 06:53 PM

Thrilled to see that this is all coming together! Already some excellent presenters. I would give my eye teeth to take that workshop with Tom Cable, who has been very helpful to me personally through email exchanges.

I honestly don't know if I'll be able to swing it this year, but if I can, I will.