Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-19-2014, 04:48 PM

Landor's presence at that table with Yeats and Donne can be "explained" only if you're willing to bother with "A Vision," which I'm really not. He appears in the same "phase" as Shelley and Dante and Yeats and thus stands for or is representative of something or other, which only Yeats (and maybe Hugh Kenner) could really make sense of. It's something about calmness of intellect working on violence of temper. Landor certainly possessed the latter.

RHE
Unread 10-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Reading the Landor section in Pound’s ABC of Reading, which Clive mentioned, I find a lot to like in Landor’s “lapidary style” (as Pound puts it). Also, he’s witty:

Epithalamium

XXXXWeep Venus, and ye
XXXXAdorable Three
Who Venus for ever environ.
XXXXPounds, shillings, and pence
XXXXAnd shrewd sober sense
Have clapt the strait waistcoat on * * *
XXXXOff Mainot and Turk
XXXXWith pistol and dirk,
Nor palace nor pinnace set fire on
XXXXThe cord's fatal jerk
XXXXHas done its last work
And the noose is now slipped upon * * *

(I don't know why Landor puts asterisks after the poem, but they’re his not Pound’s—I checked the collection it is from, Gebir, Count Julian and Other Poems.)

Pound writes: “Landor, the man of letters, usually invoked as model of the ‘lapidary style’ or of the ‘well-turned verse’. The effect of his severe classical studies never deserts him, and the cantabile quality never wholly deserts the verses of his shorter poems, even when they are manifestly inscribed. . . . A man preferring ‘a manner of writing’ to the living language, runs considerable danger if he have not a culture as thorough as Landor’s, and a great part of Landor’s longer poems are still inaccessible because the languag eis so far removed from any speech ever used anywhere. . . . Landor: 80 per cent retrospective, though this mustn’t be taken to mean that he wasn’t driving piles into the mud, and preparing foundations—which have been largely unused by his successors.”

As often with Pound, I only get some of what he is saying. (There is a lot more in the section on Landor, much of which seems more like Pound's notes to himself than shared literary criticism.) With the “lapidary” part, I’m on board, but then P. says Landor was a model more should have followed, despite his language being “so far removed from any speech ever used anywhere, yet Pound himself pushed for language closer to speech, less artificial etc. Does anyone here understand this (apparent) contradiction?
Unread 10-04-2014, 04:31 PM

Andrew, I don’t have time just now for a longer comment, but I think it is worth bearing Hugh Selwyn Mauberley in mind. The contradiction you refer to is inherent in Pound. You say he “pushed for language closer to speech, less artificial”. But he also admired Gautier and commended him as a model. The Cantos are thronged with non-demotic diction.

In haste...

Clive
Unread 10-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Thanks, Clive, now that you mention it, Hugh Selwyn Mauberley does have some of those qualities. It's been a while since I read that poem.