Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-19-2015, 05:39 PM

Default submission manager

This regards Submission Manager, not Submittable. The latter I know goes from Received to In Progress when someone actually looks at it, and then Accepted or Declined when they make a decision. But what about Submission Manager? Is there any stage after Received that tells you they've looked at the sub or opened it? I have stuff stuck at Received for a long, long time.

Last edited by john savoie; 11-19-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Unread 11-19-2015, 06:24 PM

I'm pretty sure it depends on how the journal uses it. Most (that I've encountered) use the system defaults of Accepted, Declined, Withdrawn, Received and that's it. But I believe that the Status is a field that can be customized and some journals may have done so.
Unread 11-19-2015, 07:51 PM

I haven't made a careful study of the way assorted magazines use their individual versions of Submission Manager. But I would be willing to bet that they are as cavalier about it as are the users of Submittable. I've had poems accepted by e-mail, and then I've looked at the Submittable record to find that it still said Received! I've seen "in progress" when a guest editor has told me I should have received a reply. It's nuts, and I would venture to say it's nuts all over.

If "a long, long time" is more than three months--or more than the stated response time, if it's more than three months--I'd say you should ask the editor.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.