Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Julie, you are hysterical. Thanks for brightening up my day

Nausheen
Unread 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Steiner View Post
Jeanne and Rick: Happy to reassure you that you weren't seeing things (or weren't not seeing things). As you probably know, dyslexia has some big advantages in visual perception, along with the disadvantages. Hence the dyslexic motto: "When life gives you melons..."
I had to read that "dyslexic motto" far too many times to get it. (Methinks Julie's just messing w/ us now that she knows our Achilles heel, Rick). Are there really advantages, big ones even? Please do tell me more.

p.s. Lightning Bug, I think you are onto something and Julie's started a helpful trend (even though it's freaking out my dendrites).

Jeinner G.
Unread 12-12-2014, 11:20 AM

Julie--You might enjoy this joke, although you've probably heard it:

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog...

Somehow your post also reminds me of an old SNL fake-news story, something like this:

"In a surprise move, the African nation of Chad has announced that it is changing its name to Brian. In a gesture of African solidarity, Ghana has announced that it will henceforward be called Debbie."
Unread 12-12-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne G View Post
Are there really advantages, big ones even? Please do tell me more.
Four basic cognitive advantages associated with dyslexic processing include:

* Material thinking--dealing with the physical world, spacial reasoning, scaling things up or down while maintaining ratios, being able to mentally walk through or flip 2D representations as if they were 3D, etc. (Often this translates into artistic abilities. Also, a lot of physicists are dyslexic.)

* Interconnective strengths--quickly seeing "the big picture" and being able to integrate disparate pieces of information into a broader understanding; also the ability to identify gaps, such as needs that are not being met (a huge advantage for entrepreneurs, who are in the business of developing products and services that did not previously exist in the market).

* Narrative strengths--spotting large-scale patterns and relationships between concepts, and connecting those dots to make stories. (Which explains why so many successful authors, poets, and comedians are dyslexic; clearly, storytelling and proofreading are two different skill sets.)

* Dynamic reasoning--recombining information in new and interesting ways; using episodic simulation to predict future events from past ones; generally thinking outside the box. Obviously, these qualities are associated with innovation and creativity in every field.

These talents are not necessarily all found in the same person, but dyslexics tend to have at least one of them.

"This ability to turn things inside out and see them from shifting perspectives is probably something that allows me to write the poetry I write."
--Philip Schultz, winner of the 2008 Pulitzer Prize in Poetry, in this video.
Unread 12-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Julie,

You are funny! I've bought those toner cartridges. I missed an NEA grant (I'm positive) because of the lousy print quality of the forms.

And… being a Steiner, think of all you illustrious antecedents: George, Max, I'm sure there are others.
Unread 12-12-2014, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the info Julie. I've noticed some of those things, but didn't know they were related. The 1st ones are definitely not my strengths. Just thinking about spacial stuff triggers it. Judging distance, or north, east west, south, fuggedaboudit. Thank God for digital car compasses now.

I was feeling guilty for hijacking your thread w/ the dyslexia stuff, so finally kicked my butt to do a write up, bare and share thing on it and started my own.

Jeanne
Unread 12-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Rudolph Steiner was a great teacher and religious leader. Steiner schools are highly regarded in Australia.

Last edited by ross hamilton hill; 12-13-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Unread 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM

I must confess, I felt closer to you when you were a Stoner.

Nemo
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Just picture me with a beer stein instead of a bong, Nemo.
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:47 AM

Ah, that might do the trick!

Holiday Cheers,
Nemo