Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 10-15-2015, 10:20 AM
Distinguished Guest

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to take a look at the entries to Challenge 2. I'll try to do so before the deadline.

Challenge 1: Like Birthe, I was tempted to divide my vote in fourths. Bob's is closest to the original in tone and spirit. Julie's is the most delightfully off-the-wall: Ricky Ricardo driving a hot rod! Catherine's R-rated romp gets the Ogden Nash award for the foreplay/doorway rhyme . But it's Birthe's " My Honey Bunny" that won my heart. "Honey bunny" for "cielito lindo" alone should get an extra point. She is a writer of children's songs, and I think it shows, in her playfulness and humor and whimsy. So, after much agonizing, I vote for:

Birthe - "My Honey Bunny"

BTW, I agree with Birthe that it would be good to bring in critters from the outside world. Martin, what do you think about posting invitations on the other forums to weigh in on this competition?
Unread 10-15-2015, 10:35 AM

Challenge 1: All the entries are fun and have their virtues! I really liked Julie's version, but I prefer the original melody, and so I vote for Roger's version with the revised refrain.

Challenge 3: A tough one--all the entries are really fine. Not to give Roger all my votes, I'll vote for Brian.
Unread 10-15-2015, 10:37 AM

Birthe and Marion, I just posted invitations on D&A and GT. Should I ask Alex to make a general announcement?

Martin
Unread 10-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Distinguished Guest

Sure, the more the merrier!
Unread 10-15-2015, 09:23 PM

Thank you Marion,

I didn't really think My Honey Bunny would be in the running. It's lovely that it makes you laugh.

Last edited by Birthe Myers; 10-16-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Unread 10-16-2015, 04:25 PM

Challenge #1--Roger Slater

Challenge #3--I still can't decide...I've got until Sunday to make up my mind, right? Each entry has its own strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for making this decision so hard.
Unread 10-17-2015, 01:51 AM

I'm impressed with all of these. I tried to enter, but couldn't carry the tunes in my head long enough to make a lyric for them. Kudos to all.

If I must choose, then I'll give a vote to Roger for the first one and half each to Brian and Susan for the third (it was so nearly Cathy but I can't leave the "t" off bergamot and if that's a Brit thing (after all I can't do "a-REGGER-no", either!) then I beg you to forgive me.
Unread 10-17-2015, 07:32 AM

Not easy to choose, but
1) Roger
3) Brian
Unread 10-18-2015, 12:24 AM

Still can't decide on #3...and I will be too busy tomorrow to come back and vote, so I guess I'll split my vote four ways: 1/4 Catherine, 1/4 Roger, 1/4 Susan, and 1/4 Brian.

Mary, I liked yours, too, but I really missed the wolf...and Kyle, you had some very nice turns of phrase in there, too.

Well done, all!
Unread 10-18-2015, 04:15 AM

Well, this is tricky. I found myself wishing I could give everyone a point in challenges 1 and 3, Julie having already won no. 2, but that would turn it into a caucus race.

So for Challenge 1:

Rogerxxxx- .5
Juliexxxxx- .25
Catherinex- .25

Challenge 3 is even harder. They’re all good!

I admired Mary’s version for preserving the original rhyme scheme, even though it meant losing the wolf.

There were a number of felicitous phrases: ‘wolf you down’ from Kyle and Catherine, ‘mutton chops’ for ‘moustaches’ also from Catherine, ‘stuff you like a goose’ from Kyle and Susan.

I particularly liked Roger’s fully and ingeniously rhymed version, and its snappily sardonic ending.

So for Challenge 3:

Rogerxx- .5
Kylexxx- .25
Susanxx- .25
Closed Thread