Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-04-2002, 03:26 PM

Hello, Able Musers--
Let me share my good news--after years of waiting, my book of poems, OPEN HOUSE, is finally published! It won the 2001 Kenyon Review Prize for a First Book, pub. by Zoo Press. Yippee! Anyone interested can see my poems on Poetry Daily 5/1 www.poems.com or visit my website, www.bethannfennelly.com

Thanks to A. E. Stallings for telling me about Able Muse!
Beth Ann

------------------
Visiting Asst. Prof. of English
Univ. of Mississippi www.bethannfennelly.com

[This message has been edited by Beth Ann Fennelly (edited May 18, 2002).]
Unread 05-07-2002, 03:50 AM

Congratulations, Beth Ann!

& welcome to Able Muse!
Unread 05-16-2002, 04:36 PM

Beth,

Congrats! I also want to say how much I enjoyed reading your work in the last issue of Louisiana Literature, particularly, I Would Like to Go Back as I Am, Now, to You as You Were, Then-- The Poem reminded me of Dave Smith's, The Roundhouse Voices. I've reread your poem many times. Again, congrats!

Peace,

Mike.
Unread 05-17-2002, 02:23 PM

Dear Michael--
Thanks for the nice note! I had to giggle that my poem reminded you of Dave Smith's. Actually, I'd sent an earlier version to him at The Southern Review, and he sent it back saying he'd like to publish it if I would change one line near the end. I thought about it and knew he was right--the line he'd pointed out had always been a bit vague. So I changed it as he suggested, and sent it back--and he rejected the poem! I was miffed, but also grateful, because his suggestion did make the poem better. Anyway, thanks for your kind words--
Beth Ann
Unread 05-17-2002, 03:04 PM

Congratulations on your book. I hadn’t seen any of your poetry before, so I used the link to your website and just read the excerpt posted there from your poem, "Madame L Describes the Siege of Paris."

I'm just curious about your source and your inspiration. I was especially struck by the fact that the speaker in your poem is at the zoo, because, in fact, the Parisians ate their zoo during the siege of Paris. Not the zoo in its entirety, I understand, as nobody wanted to eat certain animals; but much of the talk in Paris during the winter of 1870-71 seems to have been devoted to speculation regarding how the elephants, Castor and Pollux, would taste – and like subjects. That information gives your last sentence, “To know/ that you can take the heart and eat it raw” an added resonance, and I wonder if it’s intended.
Unread 05-18-2002, 10:00 AM

Hello, Epigone, and thanks for the congrats. I'm glad you enjoyed the excerpt from my poem, "Madame L. Describes the Sige of Paris." That the speaker is in a zoo, etc. is no accident--the poem is a historical monologue spoken by one of the people trapped in Paris during the Franco-Prussian war. This "Madame L." is recalling those times, and what it felt like to be one of the people who took part in the zoo raid. (I found the whole idea really intriguing--esp. considering how uptight the French can sometimes seem--and did a lot of research, which was fun. Before they ate the zoo, the Parisians ate their pets!) If you get a chance to read the whole poem, I hope you like it.
Thanks, Beth Ann
Unread 05-21-2002, 09:20 AM

Wonderful news Beth and many congratulations;

Jim -who takes pride by association, my grandmother's name was Fennelly.