Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Distinguished Guest

Default Michael Donaghy

It's hard to know how to start this thread: I've been invited, and many thanks to Eratosphere, to present this Distinguished Guest feature on the Irish-American poet Michael Donaghy, who lived in London. I think he, not I, is the Distinguished Guest; I'm just his proxy for the occasion.

By the way, my mention of his three national and geographical identities is deliberate. He’s not the kind of poet you can peg with a label and feel like you "know" something about him. A natural observer and questioner of the status quo, Donaghy fell between movements and identities, and it has been pointed out many places that identity itself is a big theme in his work. (“Smith” is the poem most critics mention here; There’s also “ Fraction:” “I had her eyes,/ The aunt’s, that is, who, the story goes,/ was bought to the jail to sort the bits in tubs.”) Even to call him paradoxical wouldn't be right, because even that is a construct based on predictability: "If A, then also A-..." He’s more than that: an original: “My people were magicians…”

The familiar details are: born in the Bronx in 1954 to Irish parents. Moved back to Ireland for a time, it didn't work out, back to the Bronx. A pioneering school programme such as we can't now imagine allowed him to learn to play the flute, and this led to his near-legendary status in Irish music circles. He played in the crossover Irish/jazz band Lammas with Don Paterson. Poetry editor of Chicago Review, published a pamphlet called Slivers, and then came to live in London in 1985. His first full collection, Shibboleth, was published in London in 1988. Errata followed, and then Conjure. Prizes and awards were won. His workshops became known for the careers that had started in them. And then in 2004 he died suddenly at the age of 50.

It was universally agreed that his was one of the most profoundly felt losses the UK poetry scene can remember. Shock waves went out in all directions, and there are still books being published with Donaghy memoriams in them.

His posthumous collection, Safest, came out in 2005, and a Collected Poems in 2009 – alongside the Collected Prose, called The Shape of the Dance.

Rereading the poems this week – out of the Collected, not the individual books, so I’ve been able to skip around – what strikes me is how they still have the power to really surprise, even when I keep thinking I already know them. I think this surprise is an excellent place to start.

He’s known as a formal poet. He wrote a lot about formal concerns, the necessity of some kind of formal negotiation in the making of a poem. He was very keen on the “making” aspect, saying that evidence of craft and work is a sign that a poem (or poet) is trustworthy. But what form this “form” of his takes is another question. He wrote tight little rhymes lyrics in quatrains; he wrote postmodern collages of voices; he wrote sonnets and Browningesque monologues and free verse and blank verse and riddles and hoaxes and spoofs and prose poems. Poems that stay in one part of the page and poems that move around it. In "My Report Card," first published on The Poem website, he quotes:
"... a fidgety affectation of style after style which suggests that unlike more mature poets of his generation, Donaghy has not yet found his voice." F. Olsen, "Noted in Brief", Hierophant, Spring 1993.
What F. Olson failed to notice was, in short, the voice. Donaghy's poems are always elegant. They have sometimes staggering emotional depth, and range. They are models of concision. And often very, very funny.

His frame of reference is simply enormous: his subject matter includes ancient Japan, drug-running, postmodernism, jazz, art history, Chicago cops, GIs in the Second World War, sex, death, Shakespeare, religion, movies, machines (as in “Machines”), Homer, surrealism, tattoos, vomiting, and many, many objects. He was fascinated by the object, as in the skull of Yorick: “Look,” the poet says to the reader, holding it up. He even has a poem called “I Hold in My Hand an Egg.”

Right now I hold in my hand a poem by Michael Donaghy:

Music Sounds and Helen Passeth over the Stage

Fireworks crackle and the groundlings gasp and cough
and a drag queen in stuff brocade and starched ruff
glides across the stage on a starry trolley drawn by ropes.
Puppet. Hellbait. Tricktrap. Doctor, wait! She isn;t real.
You're doing all the work. She has no lines -
all smoke and candlelight and burning towers.
Not that peerless dame of Greece, this poxy boy
dangling beneath a spangly sky in Rothergithe
the thirtieth summer of Elizabeth. Curtain.

High summer. Locusts chirrup in the scrub.
Gongs. Ægypt. Enter: Athenian actor chanting
My name is Helen and I will now recount my sorrows...

Here are a couple of links:
Donaghy on The Poetry Archive
two poems on The Poem
The Interior of a Heron's Egg, by Joshua Mehigan
an essay by me in the Contemporary Poetry Review

N.b., I was going to link here to the books on Amazon or somewhere - but an extensive and time-consuming search has just led me to conclude that both the Collecteds - the Poems, and The Shape of the Dance, his collected prose - are out of print! Copies are going for exorbitant sums online. Staggering. I apologise; however, I also recommend that readers here do the necessary to get hold of Donaghy's poems. You can still buy the individual collections, at least from the UK.

Last edited by Katy Evans-Bush; 11-14-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: add link
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Distinguished Guest

So good to see this thread here, Katy (and to see you back on the Sphere). Just a quick note, for now... When I was working on a DLB entry about Michael Donaghy ten years ago, we corresponded by email, and at one point I pressed him about F. Olsen's review. I think I asked for his response to it. He finally admitted he'd made it up. Typical, isn't it? So him! Of course, by that time he was self-conscious about himself as a self-mythologizer, and for all I know, he might have been making up having made it up.

It's terrible that his collected poems and prose are already out of print. I can hardly believe that.

Thanks so much for hosting this discussion.
Unread 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM

'The Brother' was one of the highlights of Paterson's 101 Sonnets, and his very short essay 'The Exile's Accent' was easily the best of a collection of Bishop criticism put out by Bloodaxe Books, 'Poet of the Periphery'. The only two occasions I've come across his name were enough to lodge it in memory, and I'm glad of the opportunity to learn more about him.
Unread 11-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Distinguished Guest

Catherine, HA! Okay, there you go. The stories of this stuff are legion. On the Poem message board he invented a load of different personae, one of whom was a very annoying young man called carlton, if I recall correctly. (This being the name of the doorman in Rhoda should have tipped me off immediately.) This character used to spouht such annoying drivel that I got into argument after argument with him. Much later I found out that everyone except me knew it was Michael, but he had forbidden them to tell me, because I was giving such good value. (My reaction to this disclosure is not the point of the story.) After he died, and after that discussion forum had gone south, the erstwhile webmaster of the site - another poet, AB Jackson - sent me an email one day, where he had managed to salvage a page of the forum. It was a group of characters having a heated debate among themselves, complete with inappropriate ad hom remarks, and every one of them is Donaghy. The only other person is me, halfway through the thread, and my whole comment is: "LOL."
Unread 11-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Distinguished Guest

Brian, yes, "The Brother" is great. Another poem about identity - even about ontological identity. It's on the Poetry Archive, which I've linked to above - you can hear him reading it.
Unread 11-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Thanks for these many links, and for your reflections, Katy. I've been searching for a way to contribute something constructive to a discussion of a poet I'm still learning about, and I've found another piece of yours that seems to me helpful: a piece from Baroque in Hackney in September 2009 on the fifth anniversary of Donaghy's death. I like it especially for those tips of his on the making of poems, and I'm promising myself to make special attention to their use in my next efforts.

One other thing I'm reflecting on is the occasions when I feel myself resistant to a Donaghy poem. The resistance seems to have much to do with the mercurial quality so many commentators have referred to, the complete changeability of the persona in the poems. It's difficult to abandon the effort to find some nonfictional core in the poems--some real "I" to be related to as a friend. I realize that's the same silly error as saying "the poet" instead of "the narrator." It's an error Donaghy forces us to correct if we're to read him comfortably.

I'm looking now to see if David Mason's piece from The Dark Horse is available online at all....
Unread 11-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Distinguished Guest

Maryann, I think the poet, the nonfictional "I," is there in the changeableness: you're with a friend who knows every place in town, & all you have to do is keep up... His voice seems to me reliable, in its mannerisms for one thing - its tone, its tics - and in its concerns: the Bronx, Chicago, Irishness, displacement, identity, religion, and in its (for lack of a better word) hagiographies, half of which are false. (Or are they?) In this trickery he is literally Mercurial. But he's reliably mercurial, and is indeed asking what reality is, how you tell something's real. These are important concerns, always.

I have to say, one of the reasons I find his work so exhilarating is the lack of the quotidian "I" we see so very tediously much of in so much poetry. I love that we get taken out of it into all kinds of places, and meet so many characters. This all-consuming interest in the world is much more refreshing to me than mere self-observation.

(Just as a suggestion for an access route!)

Glad you like the essay. His advice is invariably good!
Unread 11-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Are Picador's editors out of their bleeding minds? Out of print?
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Here's a link--and I'll add more as I find them--to an interview with Donaghy. This one is a hoot because MD is resolutely refusing to take the interviewer's pre-designed leads:

Lidia Vianu interview with MD

This link to the TOC of Magma in 1996 will bring you to the poem "The Hunter's Purse" and at least part of a Donaghy interview, sadly truncated, by John Stammers.

And some video clips of Donaghy speaking: rescen.net
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks for being here, Katy!

And thanks for the additional links, Maryann! That last one was very funny! I knew nothing of him before today, but I'm learning a little, link by link. I only wish I had access to more of his poems!