Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Default Seeing the DECK images: solutions

I've been looking and trying to debug this problem, and it appears it's tied in to the Erato member image system, which as you probably know from the Art forum, will only display images if you're logged in as a member, and shows a blank to visitors. This is because the images, judging from their URL, were uploaded into the Erato image storage system.

So, in order to see the complete deck images, make sure you're logged in before opening the Deck the Halls post. If you've tried before unsuccessfully, simply log in and try again. In such cases, you may still not see anything. Simply refresh your browser a few times and that should resolve matters. Also, it appears that once you've logged in and displayed the images, it might show up on subsequent visit even if you're not logged in because of the caching from the client browser.

In any event, I'll continue to have the non-decked version of the image below in cases where the text color was changed to white for decking purposes -- which will then be white-on-white and hence blank for those experiencing the image display problem.

Finally, I recommend posting any further image display issues for the Deck posts in this thread, and not clutter the poem thread with it. So, I'll be looking here for more problem reports.

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 12-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Alex - related problem. The Georgia type face you're using on the Deck the Halls posts - both with the background and without - is significantly smaller and "busier" than the clean Verdana which is the usual Sphere standard, and consequently the Deck the Halls poems are difficult to read. (The one exception is #3 where, for some reason, the type that is overlaid on the illustration is even larger than usual - you went to size 4 - but even there, the type on the "non-decked" version remains tiny.).)

Would it be possible to switch back to Verdana? If you feel this can't be done on the graphics because the heavier Georgia shows up better against the photo backgrounds, could we at least print the "non-decked" poem in Verdana?

Alternately, could you increase the Georgia type to size 3? (Hopefully, this won't create overlap problems with busier areas of the photos.)

(Yes, I can adjust my browser zoom for larger type, but then everything else is out of kilter - and I would have to switch back and forth whenever I went to Deck the Halls.)

Thanks for whatever can be done.
Unread 12-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Alex,

Would it help to have an alternate site to call the images from?

Let me know if I can be of assistance,

Thanks,

Bill
Unread 12-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the offer. It's not so much a question of alternate site as it is saving it separate from the forum software's image storage system. I actually have in mind retrieving the images and re-uploading in a generally accessible folder of the server where login is not required ... but I need to find some spare time for that!

Cheers,
...Alex