Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Default Lots of psalm activity on Alan's behalf.

Longman have indicated that when next they reissue the Longman Anthology of World Literature, they would welcome a generous selection of the Sullivan/Zohar Psalms. Yesterday Commonweal, an important liberal Catholic monthly accepted 41 and 68. Julie, Maryann, and Cathy have all undertaken essays on various psalms which look very promising. The Lewis and Clark Foundation are eager to publish the book.
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:45 PM

This is great news! - posthumous congratulations and thanks to Alan, and vigorously living ones to Seree. Wow!
Unread 12-22-2010, 02:06 AM

Great news, Tim. Commonweal is a good magazine. And I look forward to seeing what the three essayists bring to bear on the translations. Will those be published in Able Muse?
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Julie Stoner's essay on 3-6 will appear in Alabama Literary Review. Cathy Chandler's essay on 11 is submitted to Dappled Things. Maryann has not determined where yet to submit her essay on 22. I have submitted an essay on 30 and 32 to Hudson Review (which just took that five sonnet sequence, Alan's Ashes.) My enormous essay on a bunch of psalms appeared in the October and November issues of Chronicles. I have another under review at Anglican Theological Review. I have urged Seree to write an essay on 18, an enormous prayer to God for an encircled and imperiled Israel. And write it not just as a scholar but as the mother of teen-age boys who risk their lives in the IDF. I want that in the Jerusalem Post! And stand-alone poems have appeared in Seewanee Theological Review, First Things, New Walk, and the Flea. So we are building an editorial consensus for the book in a wide variety of prestigious publications representing both liberal and conservative, Catholic and Protestant views. The notion of presenting the poems in the context of essays is a new one, and I justify it on the grounds that David is the founder of lyric poetry and that Alan is dead. And that the case for a metrical version need be made to readers who just automatically turn to the KJV or RSV. The average church-goer does not understand that David is a poet!

Last edited by Tim Murphy; 12-22-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Unread 12-22-2010, 04:45 PM

This is excellent, Tim, and you couldn't have three better essayists - four, if you manage to persuade Seree as well.