Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

Terese and I both had the blessing of careful and generous reviews at The Gazebo:

http://www.alsopreview.com/discus/me...tml?1122606218

Best regards,
David

Unread 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM

And well-deserved they are, indeed, David!
Congrats!

Jon H.
Unread 07-30-2005, 12:09 AM

David and Terese, good to see, and yes, absolutely well deserved. Kudos to you both !

Unread 07-31-2005, 08:02 PM

Congratulations, Terese and David, for having earned such enthusiastic reviews.
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

Jon, Wendy, Stephen,
Thanks so much for your kind remarks.
Best wishes,
David
Unread 08-05-2005, 06:37 AM

David, congratulations on Cheryl Snell's sensitive review of Talking to Lord Newborough. She mentions wistfulness, which I find one of the characteristics that stands out with great appeal in your work.

Thank you much for the mention, and thanks too to Wendy and Stephen.

Terese

Unread 08-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

I made it into "Foetry":

http://foetry.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=197

"The following was sent to me by a friend with the question: “Isn’t something like this as bad as anything more notable writers do? “

I say perhaps. It is not a good answer but it is the best I can come up with. Perhaps you or someone else can come up with a better one and a reason why.

I haven’t an answer so I pose the situation as presented to me.

At an Internet site (poetry forum) someone posted the following: “Terese and I both had the blessing of careful and generous reviews at The Gazebo:”

It was posted by someone named David Anthony who is a moderator or some functionary at the site it was posted at (Eratosphere)

After looking up the book review at the site mentioned and reading the glowing review something of note struck me:

The review, which included the somewhat over-the-top beginning: “If a poem is a verbal device designed to go off in the heart (apologies to Phillip Larkin) then David G. Anthony’s graceful, contemplative second collection implodes quietly, delivering emotional truths from within well- crafted constructs. “ was written by someone named
Cheryl Snell, who it turns out is a moderator or functionary at the Gazebo site where the book review was posted.

What gave my sender and perhaps me, but to a lesser degree, a feeling of alarm was the following notation:

Talking to Lord Newborough
by David G. Anthony
Alsop Review Press
ISBN: 0976195410 "

--Jack Conway
Unread 08-11-2005, 06:54 AM

I didn't see if anyone on the thread had an answer to the question posed to Jack Conway, but the answer seems obvious to me.

Jorie Graham and others should recuse themselves rather than award prestigious prizes to their students, friends and lovers. But when one simply praises the work of a poet in an online poetry forum, the stakes are much lower and so one need not refrain from promoting the work of people one admires so long as one can do so sincerely. Ideally, one should disclose a relationship to the poet if it is a significant one.

But here the relationship (if any) is tenuous, and it is fully disclosed. The review identifies David's book as having been published by The Alsop Review Press and Gazebo identifies itself as a on-line forum associated with The Alsop Review. Having identified the nexus between Cheryl Snell, David Anthony, and the Alsop Review Press, Mr. Conway and his anonymous friend can take that information into account when they read Ms. Snell's review of David's book.

epigone
Unread 08-11-2005, 07:27 AM

Congratulations, David. You have drawn your first snark; with nothing real to criticize, he criticized the book review. He doesn't even know the principals - "someone named David...someone named Cheryl..." Big deal.

You benefit by an opportunity to write an acerbic riposte -"To an Ignorant Critic" - poem. Bon appetit.
Unread 08-11-2005, 11:41 AM

I've commented on this at the Gazebo, where there is a discussion worth reading:
http://www.alsopreview.com/discus/me...tml?1123783742

Best,

Terese