Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Default Radio, Today

Prairie Public Broadcasting and I are beginning to do programs. We're going to start with my work, Alan's, then branch out. That might involve some of you going to your closest public radio studios in order to participate. Today we begin with Hunter's Log, my seventh book, published last week. http://www.prairiepublic.org/radio/listen-now/
Click option two, then decide Itunes, Real Audio, whatever your computer can handle, and then you can listen all over the world on your computer. The show, Bill Thomas' Hear It Now, will be broadcast at 4 and 8 today, Eastern Time.

This is an experiment, but we hope to syndicate it throughout the public broadcasting system. Point eight in Gioia's program to restore poetry to its proper place in our culture is "Get on the radio."
Unread 11-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Been thinkin' on this, and I'm bumping it over Alicia's prize because the broadcast are today. Our antennae reach southern Manitoba and Saskatchewan, eastern Montana, western Minnesota, northern South Dakota. PPB's seven antennae cover an area three times larger than New England with a tiny population. I helped raise the money to build a single monster antenna for Minnesota Public Radio. It cost us three quarters of a million in 1977 dollars. But this streaming radio stuff, it blows my mind. Ten years ago Alan was teaching me to use WordPerfect.
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:05 PM

This so great, Tim. Radio is a wonderful place for poetry--just listening. I grew up with radio--old fashioned house, no TV--and I swear it helped develop my imagination. There's a healthy radio poetry-blogging community here in LA, which is great to have too.

I couldn't get on your Prairie Public Broadcasting link on my laptop--something wrong with my iTunes I think--will try to get that fixed. But kudos for doing all this, and aiming for Public Radio. Hope it goes national! I'd love to hear more poetry radio when I drive around LA...
Charlotte
Unread 11-19-2011, 01:05 AM

Tim,

I have an old and dear friend who is a playwright....born in England, he's tried for years to get plays (not just his own) on his local community radio (like BBC does) and finally accomplished it...within months, they had a growing audience and a major regional NPR station asking to feature them and now they are working on a broader, national audience. Last week, he was featured on the University of NC NPR station. I was able to listen to it streaming live on this very isolated northern CA coast. Amazing!

I wish the same for you...go for it....and please keep us posted with links!

Pat

PS I am on the northern coast of California between San Francisco and the Oregon border and I am picking up some great jazz on your station tonight...so thank you for that, too. Just to let you know we can hear it here. I missed your program...can't find it archived...that might be something to think about.

Last edited by Jones Pat; 11-19-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: a PS
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:12 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Hey Charlotte, Pat, here's the archive page: http://www.prairiepublic.org/radio/h...now?post=36227
They're so tickled with how it came out that we're doing another show, on Mortal Stakes/Faint Thunder, in ten days.
Unread 11-19-2011, 05:37 AM

It's coming out clear as a bell, Tim. Great work, and great recognition for your achievement in communicating this rich vein of experience to a wide audience. Congratulations!
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Thanks, Adam. Dana listened to it overnight and I woke to his enthusiastic email. If interest develops in this thread, I'll share my thoughts on poetry on radio, a venue in which I hope to gain a great deal more experience than I already have. My host, Bill Thomas, knows little about poetry; but it's clear he carefully read the book and came up with good questions, especially on the subject of form in poetry.
Unread 11-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Really good interview, Tim. You're the Robert Frost of the Prairie States. I'm proud to be in your time zone.
Unread 11-19-2011, 01:35 PM

Tim, thanks so much! I clicked, and now I can through. I will listen later, and let you know. (About to go off to see A Globe Theater Shakespeare production in Santa Monica.)

Charlotte
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Lariat Emeritus

You've got that backwards, Mary. Robert Frost is the Tim Murphy of New Hampshire. Ok, full disclosure, Sam once said "Wendy Cope is the RS Gwynn of Great Britain," so it's a stolen joke.