Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Default Red Letter Day

Went to the PO Box and picked up Able Muse. I'm thrilled that my foster brother, David, is featured poet. Thrilled to see my big seven part The School Teacher, in it. And most thrilled of all to see Seree's big essay on Psalm 18, and the entirety of that enormous poem. What a great tribute to Alan's memory.

Also, there was Gray's, with my six sonnet sequence for my big hunting buddy, Steve Syrdal.

Then I went to my bank to have a legal document witnessed and notarized. This enormous kid asked "Are you the Tim Murphy whose dog is Feeney?" Then "Where can I get Hunter's Log?" He said he wanted six copies. "Whatever for?" "My little brothers, my dad, all hunt pheasants, and I want them to read your book, which I heard on the radio." I happened to have a case in the car, so I sold them to the lad at my author's discount. Like I said, Red Letter Day.
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:51 PM

Nice to hear you're going such great guns, Tim!

Duncan
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Great going, Tim - happy hunting indeed! Congratulations to David, Seree, and all!
Unread 12-28-2011, 01:08 PM

That's a lovely tale indeed about the kid at the bank with the hunting family. I wish we all had such eager audiences, and such great marketing! Congrats, Tim.
Unread 12-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Lovely to hear about your Red Letter Day, Tim.
Being recognised in public is good for the ego; it made my day once when I was in the swimming baths and a kid asked, "Are you that poetry lady?"

Can't shoot 'em (by which I mean I'm unable rather than unwilling) but I'm certainly buying a brace of pheasants at the earliest opportunity!
Unread 12-28-2011, 01:55 PM

What a kick, Tim. But I hope you also told the kid about Amazon, just in case he ever wants to read a book and the author doesn't happen to stroll into the bank.
Unread 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Thanks, all. Actually, Roger, I told the kid where to get the book, Amazon, Noble Barns, etc., but when he told me how many copies he wanted, I thought "I've got a case in the car." This kid has just been promoted from teller to commercial banking, so he's not earning much yet, and I thought, "Why not give him a 50 percent break and sign all the books?" Though I'd never met him, he's a nice lad who sees me out training Feeney all the time, because we're in the same complex. He about fell over when he looked at the Eldridge Hardie drawings.

I've sold $500 of donated books for the Boy Scouts and Shanley High in the last month, not even retrieving (Feeney?) my author cost; and it's nice to be in a position to support worthy charities and give kids a break.
Unread 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Congratulations and best wishes! I gave my hardcover to my father for Christmas--hunted dove and deer with him as a kid, he also hunted geese and duck, back in Texas.
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Tim, Congratulations on a red letter day and a great year all-round for your writing and publishing!
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Tim, hearty congrats on your Red Letter Day. And may the New Year bring more of them.

I just got the Able Muse issue (fabulous, Alex!), and am digging in for a good meal--but might have to postpone seconds, as I am currently planning food for a literal party right now, for tomorrow....

Jayne, may you be further recognized as "the poetry lady!"

Charlotte