Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Distinguished Guest

This is to announce that Rob MacKenzie, our very own Winter, has got a commendation in the UK Poetry Society's very prestigious National Poetry Competition. His poem, In the Last Few Seconds, is in Sapphics. I'm not sure if he ever workshopped it here.

The awards were given out at Ken Livingstone's new City Hall, which is a sort of round building, and the room was at the top with amazing panoramic views of London which I think we were too busy hobnobbing to take advantage of at all whatsoever. People kept telling me there was a balcony but I now realise I never even attempted to go towards it.

So Rob very sweetly asked me to go as his guest, as I'm on the doorstep, and I swallowed my rancour and bitterness at not winning anything (yet again), and went along. Great to meet Rob, great to be there to clap REALLY HARD when he went up for his cheque, and in short it was a fine evening which ended pretty much when the pub had had its fill of noisy poets. I hope that although Rob arrived not knowing anyone (so he said: he was instantly greeted by Sally Evans, the editor of Poetry Scotland!) he left with a few useful link-ups for the coming year.

For people interested in UK poets, the judges were Alison Brackenbury and Mark Ford and Bernardine Evaristo, and they handed out the three prizes; commendations were handed out by Jo Shapcott. Also there were Ruth Padel, Roddy Lumsden, John Citizen, loads of magazine editors and general poetry doers, as well as a few people I felt I should have known who they were but didn't (& I did step backwards at one point, also REALLY HARD, on the foot of Sebastian Barker). Rob seemed to have a great evening, left the pub quite late (though not, alas, quite as late as me) and, in short, congrats to a fine result for Rob!

I'll just add, having not read this year's crop yet, that in general I often think the commended poems stack up better than the winners - as if, with the pressure off a little, the judges can relax and not feel they're having to try to please everyone. I'd be ecstatic with a commendation on those grounds. Well done Rob!

KEB

[This message has been edited by Katy Evans-Bush (edited March 11, 2006).]
Unread 03-11-2006, 04:11 AM

Many congratulations, Rob! A fine credit!

Clive
Unread 03-11-2006, 06:10 AM

Rob,

Many congratulations. These are well-respected judges and I'm sure you were up against tough and sizeable competition.

Margaret.
Unread 03-11-2006, 07:42 AM

Way to go, Rob!!!! Congratulations!!

Lo
Unread 03-11-2006, 02:40 PM

Congrats, Rob! Hurrah!

Jon H.
Unread 03-11-2006, 03:10 PM

That's wonderful Rob! Well, if it wasn't workshopped here, we will at least take credit for shaping your abilities. (Of course I'm just joking.) Way to go!
Unread 03-12-2006, 02:57 PM

Hi folks

Thanks very much! I am delighted about this, of course.

I had a great time in London. I was allowed 2 guests at the ceremony and was glad that Katy could be one of them. I am impressed she was able to type all that the next day, as I was in no condition to do so!

I hadn't workshopped the poem at Erato, although I learned a great deal about Sapphic meter from Joseph Bottom's thread on Sapphics here, so I owe many of you thanks for that!

I have written about the London event on my blog at great length, but for those of you who are sensible enough not to go there, I'll repeat my entry here:

National Poetry Competition 2005

Well I got back from London yesterday evening, but was too tired to write anything. Or perhaps still suffering the after-effects of the evening before.

My poem, In the Last Few Seconds, had received one of ten commendations in the UK National Poetry Competition, so I took the train down to collect the award. By the time I’d paid the fare and so on, I’d more or less spent the prize (the first prize was £5000, but the cash drops dramatically by the time you get to the commended poems), but I felt that being there had to be better than getting a cheque through the post, and I was right.

I met up with Harry Rutherford and Katy Evans-Bush. It was great meeting them both. You never know what to expect when you meet Internet personae in real life, but we all got on well. We had a quick drink and wandered over to the City Hall, a curious, upside-down, glass beehive of a building on the outside, but inside it was impressive, with a scale model of London covering the ground floor.

After passing through the security channels, we found ourselves in a roomful of poets, editors, and other movers and shakers in the poetry world. This will either sound like a vision of heaven or hell, but if the latter, you could wash it down with free wine (in what seemed like unlimited, constantly replenished quantity) and finger-food (even less than it sounds).

Perhaps it was the wine, or the beer in the pub afterwards, but everyone I met seemed so friendly and interesting:

the woman from The Institute of Ideas whose mission was to further public debate and discussion of important issues (which included poetry) through the media etc – she told me that people kept phoning her and saying “I’ve had an idea, if you’d like to hear it”, and “I’ve invented a new design of tin-opener…”

Janet Phillips, who produces the Poetry Society newspaper Poetry News, who was simply a fab person;

Bernardine Evaristo, one of the judges, who (I think) had a soft spot for my poem. I certainly liked her immediately. Her speech from the floor was the best of all the judges, although she did get to introduce the winner, which I suppose must help;

Fiona Sampson, editor of Poetry Review – that’s the second time I’ve met her, and the second time I’ve been impressed with her acuteness of mind and warm enthusiasm for poetry. One of these days I’ll have to submit something;

John Duffy – another Scot with a commended poem (there were three of us). I didn’t know his poetry before, but I certainly intend to check it out;

Melanie Drane – the competition winner, the first ever international winner (she is from the USA). Her poem was well-crafted and multi-layered, a Tokyo earthquake and flood as the backdrop to a new marriage, with an ambiguous but satisfying close. A worthy winner, I think. I mean, I’ve read all 13 winning and commended poems, and it’s impossible to choose between them, but I wouldn’t argue with the choice made.

Roddy Lumsden, a fine Scottish poet and keeper of the excellent Vitamin Q site. He seemed like an easy-going but deep-thinking person – if that isn’t a contradiction in terms;

Angel, who deals with educational matters for the Poetry Society. It would be impossible not to like someone called Angel. At least, I found it impossible. Until this late point in the evening, I had been thinking that everyone seemed far drunker than myself – a poor assumption, because when I spoke to Angel, I realised that might not have been true;

Alison Brackenbury, another of the judges, the only judge whose poetry I had known to any extent beforehand (it’s very good). I must admit, I was impressed that she could recall my poem and discuss it cogently by that stage of the proceedings. I was trying desperately to keep up and remember what I’d written and why I’d written it. Apparently, the judges had debated the final stanza of my poem for quite some time;

Sally Evans – editor of Poetry Scotland. I had met Sally before, but it was nice to meet her again. In fact, I sat beside her for part of the train journey back to Edinburgh, and we witnessed the ultimate cliché of this drunk Scotsman attempting to start a fight with this (innocent) English guy. It took four train-staff to break it up to the background of wailing children and inarticulate threats from various sections of the carriage, and a woman from the Niddrie area of Edinburgh who kept shouting, “You’re a disgrace to Scotland. What are they English gonnae think of us now?” and “My mammy could batter you, the state you’re in. A disgrace to the nation, that’s what it is!”

People I missed:

Ruth Padel – now how did I manage to miss noticing that Ruth Padel was even there. I like her poetry and would have really liked to meet her.

Mark Ford, the third judge – again, I would have liked to have spoken to him, as he seems like an interesting guy, and I’m intrigued by his poetry, but I didn’t get the chance.

I shook Jo Shapcott’s hand as she handed me my envelope and felt that what John Sait had said, on winning last year’s award, was true (and it’s just as true for us commended poets as the actual winner) – that this was one of those rare moments of recognition and success that pass by infrequently in a poet’s life.

As if to underscore the point, I arrived home in Edinburgh and found a rejection letter for all 6 poems I’d sent to Envoi magazine. It was nice to go to London, and nice to return home and find life carrying on as it always has.

Postscript: I'll post a link to the winning and commended poems when they go online (probably tomorrow), but if you go to the Competition website , and find the 2003 winners near the bottom of the page, and then scroll down to the very last poem on the 2003 list, you'll find an excellent, commended poem by Deborah Warren.

[This message has been edited by winter (edited March 12, 2006).]
Unread 03-12-2006, 03:25 PM

I'm beginning to get the impression that this means that I didn't win. Congratulations, Rob, even if you have given new shades of meaning to this being the winter of our (or, at least, my) discontent. Well done, and I'm looking forward to reading all the winners, which i gather will be posted tomorrow.)
Unread 03-13-2006, 07:51 AM

You can read all the winning and commended poems at this Poetry Society page .

The poems cover a wide spectrum of styles, which perhaps reflects the variety among the judges themselves.

And thanks Michael. You'll win next year.

Rob

[This message has been edited by winter (edited March 13, 2006).]
Unread 03-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Distinguished Guest

Oi. WHO'S winning next year???