Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Default Sometimes You Just Get Blazing Lucky

Ann Drysdale was having lunch with Simon Curtis in the South of Wales. When Simon ran the Hardy Society, he published Sullivan's great lyric, The Hopelessness of Hardy, the Hardihood of Hope. My name came up, and I got in touch with Simon for the first time in twelve years. I've sent him review copies of all the new books, and he asked for a submission. I sent him something big, Feeney's Lent, a seven part, 85 line pentameter sequence I workshopped here. Because I don't want game wardens dogging me in South Dakota, I am very happy to be publishing it with Simon's Interpreters in the UK. And lucky? He owns a black lab! Thank you Ann.
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Tim, I also knew Simon somewhat way back in '99 when I was starting up the Susquehanna Quarterly and was introduced to him by Bill Morgan his Hardy Society counterpart over here. He was a great help, sending me some good poems of his own and getting me some from other good UK poets including, as I recall, the late E. J. Scovell . A very accomodating gentleman. I have no idea what the circulation of his Interpreters may be, but I think you'll continue to find him a good editor to work with.

BTW, my wife and I both greatly enjoyed Puppy and Dolphin today. Thanks for posting the link.

Wiley
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Thanks, Wiley. You published Scovell? I am in awe. Yes, Simon is a fine gentleman and poet.
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM

I'm glad to have been of service, Tim.

Incidentally, the full name of the journal is The Interpreter's House; the next issue will be the fiftieth.

May I remember you to Simon, Wiley?
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:33 PM

Of course, Ann. I did not go over to meet him in the flesh. We were correspondents for a time. He may or may not recall the name. It was for my then online poetry mag, The Susquehanna Quarterly. I'm the fellow who gave him the right end-word for S8L6 of his In Memoriam: A.M., The best In Memoriam since Tennyson, IMO. If you haven't read it I hope he will show it to you.

If I saw a copy of The Interpreters' House I might be able to tell whether or not to submit to Simon a simple sample of my wares. Will it be, or is it now online?

Wiley

Last edited by Golias; 05-18-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: sp.
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:38 AM

Thank you, Wiley. I will take pleasure in passing on your comments.
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golias View Post
If I saw a copy of The Interpreters' House I might be able to tell whether or not to submit to Simon a simple sample of my wares. Will it be, or is it now online?
Some older issues (edited by Merryn Williams, though, not Simon Curtis) are available for browsing here: http://www.poetrymagazines.org.uk/ma...index.asp?id=9.

They also have a website (http://www.interpretershouse.org.uk), but it doesn't get updated very often.

Nausheen
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:36 AM

Congratulations, Tim! I'd say it's much more than luck, though having luck on your side is always a good thing.
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Had a nice note from Simon, who said he was with Rory Waterman at a poetry function Friday, and Rory enthusiastically described his visit to North Dakota. Simon was impressed that a young editor would come this far.
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:30 AM

Coda:

Thanks to Ann Drysdale and to Tim, my recently TDE workshopped "In Memoriam---George Wons " and my translation of Xin QiJi's "Lantern Festival," workshopped at Translations, will greet the UK in the Autumn issue of The Interpreter's House.

There's an online version of this excellent literary journal well worth a look. Developed at Oxford it is now based at Plymouth and is edited by Simon Curtis. It also conducts the Bedford Open Poetry Ccompetition.

G.