Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-01-2007, 07:41 AM

Wow, look at all the famous poets in the summer issue of Bumbershoot! David Anthony, Mike Burch, kbb, Maryann Corbett, Cat Dubie, James F. Gaines, Taylor Graham, Jim Hayes, Jan D. Hodge, Susan McLean, J. Patrick Lewis, Michael Johnson, Mollycat Jones, Robert Schechter, Carol Taylor, Gail White -- and me.

My poem, "What Do Lemmings Want," was first drafted in David Mason's dramatic monologue class at West Chester (2004). It's been through some changes, but finally (at Maryann Corbett's suggestion), I've given it new formal duds -- loose IP and a quirky rhyme pattern: a, b, b, c, d, c, d (the "a" line is the same in each stanza). Thanks Dave and Maryann. The lemmings are vindicated at last! Long live the lemmings! My first published villanelle is also in this issue.

I have 2 new free verse poems online at Lily (from my NaPoWriMo poem-a-day stint in April) and 1 in the summer (print) issue of RATTLE. Another free verse poem will appear in the June issue of Autumn Sky Poetry.

Toni

[This message has been edited by Toni Clark (edited June 01, 2007).]
Unread 06-01-2007, 10:01 AM

I sneaked a peek at Bumbershoot during the proofreading phase and got a kick out of it. Funny stuff - congrats all around.

Lily and Rattle - WTG, Toni!

p.s. enjoyed your poems in Lily

[This message has been edited by Rose Poto (edited June 01, 2007).]
Unread 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM

Rose, you got to steal that peak because you're in Umbrella, of course, the zine in which Bumbershoot is lovingly nestled. Maybe Umbrella is going to get its own announcement thread, but it should be said right here and now that Umbrella delivers the goods once again. Rose's poems are characteristically strong indeed, and there are also poems by Catherine Chandler, Mary Cresswell, David Landrum, and perhaps other Spherical poets I have thus far overlooked.

And yes, I think that the new Bumbershoot is great. I can say this confidently without regard to my own poems. Apart from fine poems throughout, I love the way the editors have found and/or created such striking and appropriate images to go along with the poems. Such care, such taste. It really looks wonderful.
Unread 06-01-2007, 10:31 AM

Indeed, an Umbrella announcement is up on General Announcements, and the praise has begun there too. Go, Toni, and kudos for the two Lily poems as well. The prose poem especially gave me chills.

Maryann