Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-19-2008, 10:26 AM

Quadrant just took a poem (or two).

And my novel Cry Wolf just received a very favorable review in the current issue of the Stanford Review. A link below.

My favorite part of the review:

"Professor Paul Lake of Arkansas Tech has just released a book called Cry Wolf, a political fable about American democracy, using animals to tell its story. Ultimately, it is a brilliant piece of literature. Fifty years from now, I would not be surprised to see this book studied alongside Animal Farm in classrooms."

http://www.stanfordreview.org/articl...litical-fable/
Unread 11-20-2008, 05:58 AM

Paul,
Congratulations on your acceptances and for the great review!
Cathy
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Congratulations, Paul. All, you can find my review of Cry Wolf at Sam's Discerning Eye board.
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:16 AM

Congratulations on Quadrant! Great venue.

I'm also glad that Cry Wolf is going over so well with political essayists, particularly those who speak out most forcefully against immigration. (The reviewer, on the same day he wrote the review of Cry Wolf, published a political essay in which he said "For too long, Bush and McCain have pushed for amnesty while offering insufficient assurances on border security.")

I also found it amusing to see that your book moved the reviewer to be scornful of democracy because "people, being emotional, often vote for what feels right rather than what is right"), but, in in an article from last June criticizing the California Supreme Court's decision to reject Proposition 22 (banning same-sex marriage), he was positively aghast at the idea that the democratic will of the people had been supplanted.

Anyway, it all goes to show that your book is definitely making a mark out there, and I certainly hope that I'm around in fifty years to personally verify the reviewer's prediction. If you keep on posting these great reviews, I may just read it myself!
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Distinguished Guest

Paul, congratulations! I'm not finished with the book yet, (and haven't read Tim's review), so won't make any observations other than to say I'm honestly enjoying the action, development and writing style even more than I recall ever having enjoyed Orwell's Animal Farm. You had me at the doe.

Unread 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks, Jen. Dana Gioia counseled me to stop saying Cry Wolf is better than Animal Farm and I try (mostly) to adhere to his admonition, so it's especially nice to hear you say you're enjoying my fable more than Orwell's.

Roger, I'm not responsible for the interpreations of reviewers or their opinions on various political issues, especilly those not even addressed in my novel.
Unread 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Congratulations, Paul. I look forward to reading your book.

Frank
Unread 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Looks like I won't have to wait fifty years to see Cry Wolf discussed in a college classroom along side Animal Farm. A professor at a large Midwestern university has made it a classroom text in a course on political thought this spring.