Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-02-2006, 03:31 PM

BBC Radio 7 is currently airing 'Paradise Lost' in 41 episodes. Phew! but how interesting.

The omnibus edition of the first five episodes is the second item on this page. http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/sunday/

Personally, I think Dennis Quilley, as the Narrator, does an absolutely wonderful job with the blank verse, reading it powerfully yet naturally. I could listen to him all night.
But for me the other readers aren't so good. The characterization of Satan reminds me of Olivier's Richard III --a bit actor-manager-y. Not as I hear Satan at all.

Regards, Maz

Unread 12-02-2006, 04:23 PM

And do you hear Satan often? *grin*
Unread 12-02-2006, 04:29 PM

For anyone interested in recording these episodes onto the computer, here's a link to a website which offers a recording programme for 16 dollars:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

The above programme is for Mac. If you use a PC, here's a link to an equivalent programme, which costs 17.95 dollars:

http://www.highcriteria.com/

By the way, you have just a couple of hours to catch the first five episodes, as they're only left on the website for seven days after each broadcast.

Gregory
Unread 12-02-2006, 04:56 PM

Here's the programme I use: http://www.mp3mymp3.com/mp3_my_mp3_recorder.html

It's free, easy to use, and gives good sound quality and will record up to 60 minutes.
It records the output of your soundcard, so basically, if you can hear something on your computer, you can record it.

Re the Milton programme, I think it will be there till 7am tomorrow morning, as that's when they change the pages.
Regards, Maz
Unread 12-02-2006, 05:32 PM

Jerry,

For maz to write like she does, it's obvious that she has talked to Satan at least once.
Unread 12-03-2006, 08:51 PM

I really like this -- is there anyway to download the whole thing as mp3, or to buy it on cd?
Unread 12-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Paul Stevens

I'm enjoying it, but finding the reading just a little too like prose - I think the IP could be emphasised just a tad more to make it more rhythmic, less prosaic. I'm sure many will disagree, but what's the point of trying to make poetry sound like prose?

I'm recording it via Audio Mid Recorder, then putting it on my Sony MP3 player so I can listen to it while washing up, cooking, gardening, going for a walk etc.
Unread 12-04-2006, 07:12 AM

Chris,
It was issued as a BBC audio-book in the '90s, but it's not in stock in their online shop. I did find used copies on Amazon.uk, though: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paradise-Los...e=UTF8&s=books

There is another version, read by Anton Lesser, but this isn't as good--sounds as if the reading was rushed through a bit owing to the time restraints.
Regards
Unread 12-04-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Maz:
There is another version, read by Anton Lesser, but this isn't as good...
Of course it's not as good, the reader is lesser.

Robert Meyer
Unread 12-10-2006, 08:33 AM

I want to thank Maz for helping me figure out how to record this stuff, & to remind anyone interested that the 3rd omnibus, with Satan's entry into Paradise, and the introduction of Adam, is up right now.

I have a question too. Since it took me a while to figure out how to record from these real audio files we download, I failed to get the first five installments, from the proem until Beelzebub applauds the synod of Gods for their good judgment. I miss having all of this, particularly Moloch and Belial from Book II. Is there any way that someone who has these as a sound file, mp3 or wav, could email them to me, or upload them to a location whence I could download them? If not, I would understand, but if so, I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

Chris