Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Paul Stevens

SCR+II's editors are well into in the final stages of picking the poems to be included in the July issue. We are notifying authors as their poems are selected, and hope to have all decisions made very soon. It has been a difficult process because of the very many excellent submissions. Furthermore, I have been more than usually hostage to teaching, so have been short on internet and computer time.

This announcememt is to make this point clear, though: that the selections are firmly based on what we think is best suited for SCR or II. As is the case with every issue, lots of people will not agree with what we've picked in particular cases. That is inevitable: tastes and perceptions vary. But the whole point is that it is our pick, and it is what pleases us and us alone that determines whether we will include it.

I will not discuss particular cases here, and ask that people do not do so on this thread: I do not think it appropriate to debate what is or what is not included in a magazine before it is even published. But if a particular poem is chosen for SCR+II #4, that means we think it is a good poem. If you don't agree that it is a good poem, fair enough - but we stand by our choices. That is the whole point of the exercise. SCR was always intended to buck common wisdom. There are many - a majority perhaps in the Universe of Poesy? - who might think we are gravely mistaken to publish formalist poetry at all.

Unread 05-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Paul Stevens

For $ in the Thread Title, read 4 - ' SCR+II #4 selections'. If only there were $$$ in the enterprise!
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Paul and Nigel MUST make the decisions. That is what editors are for. But WE must make SCR what it can be, and I have asked Paul to pursue five meritorious poems from the Sphere, and I continue to send him work. I am deeply grieved by the demise of The Formalist and of Iambs and Trochees. We need new venues for our work.
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:52 PM

I agree absolutely, Tim.

We should all get behind Paul and Nigel and start paddling.

And I don't mean simply going through the motions - just do it!

I have e-mailed Paul to say that anything of mine he sees that he fancies I will submit to TSCR.

So jump in your barbed-wire canoes, people!

[This message has been edited by Mark Allinson (edited May 22, 2007).]
Unread 05-22-2007, 11:27 PM

Tim--

Your post, however you meant it, undercuts what Paul was trying to say. You do SCR, and the poets whose work you have forwarded, no favors by announcing, in advance, that you are promoting some work and not other work from this site. Whatever your intention, the effect on this site is almost inevitably going to be negative, given that a lot of us have submitted and will submit to SCR on our own hook. At any rate, if the authors of the pieces get in, they are the ones who will have the right to brag, not you. The insinuation of particular influence with SCR (whether true or untrue) is self-aggrandizing and does the journal no favors.

And I'm sorry I have to post this, Paul, because I sympathize with the reason for the original post. If you want to sit out any subsequent back-and-forth, that's fine. This is really about Sphere politics, not SCR.

Quincy
Unread 05-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Paul Stevens

Thanks Tim and Mark. Submissions for SCR+II are closed now, and the intrays are bulging with really good work; but work can be submitted any time and if too late for one edition will simply go into the mix for the next.

But here's what can still help SCR+II #4: Prose. I won't repeat my earlier list of suggestions for topics and styles - read a version of it here http://theshitcreekreview.blogspot.c...ugh.html#links - but I will say that the more prose subs the better SCR+II will be. I want SC to be truly a review, which to me implies a critical aspect that currently needs further development. The poetry side is healthy, but critical prose is sparse on the ground. Or in the Creek, more to the point.

So anything along those lines has an extension to June 21st for submission to SCR or II. If you're working on a prose piece that you might submit by June 21st, the earlier you can let me know of work in progress, the easier for me. No strings attached - if you get started and then have to withdraw, no hard feelings. But do consider giving it a go.

Here's what I'm particularly interested in for the 'Lives' edition of II: critical or expository prose on the link between biography and poetry (or art in general if you like).
Unread 05-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Paul Stevens

Oops Quincy - I was writing while you posted. I just want to say that I communicate very regularly with many Sphereans and many others beyond the Sphere as editor of SCR. I try to make myself accessible to feedback, ideas, suggestions, brain-stormings, visions and so forth all the time, Tim's or anyone else's included. Many people here have given me excellent tips and advice without which I'd probably be right up Shit Creek without a... hang on!

I'd also like to say that I think that on balance SCR has been a very positive and productive expression of the poets of Eratosphere, though I know it's not everybody's cup of tea. I do hope it continues in this generally positive role.
Unread 05-23-2007, 01:15 AM

Quincy, old sausage, you, too, seem to have cut across what Paul has already said:

Quote:
This announcememt is to make this point clear, though: that the selections are firmly based on what we think is best suited for SCR or II. As is the case with every issue, lots of people will not agree with what we've picked in particular cases. That is inevitable: tastes and perceptions vary. But the whole point is that it is our pick, and it is what pleases us and us alone that determines whether we will include it.
That is, it doesn't matter who advises Paul and Nigel about what poems from what poets they should be pursuing, they will make the final decision as to what goes in.

You (like Tim) can send Paul and Nigel any list of poems and poets you believe should be published, and the same deal will apply.

I find no problem with Tim's post.

[This message has been edited by Mark Allinson (edited May 23, 2007).]
Unread 05-23-2007, 04:58 AM

Paul, with the author's consent you can print anything you wish in your journal. With the consent of the community we can, within reason, discuss anything we wish, including your selections, in this thread.

I am a friend of Tim Murphy.

This statement by Max Gutmann is clear, unequivocal and bothers me greatly;

"If I had written a body of work comparable to that of Tim Murphy, I would be concerned that a reader who cared enough to search online for my work might find these early in the search".

The integrity and goodwill that underpins this comment means that anyone who had the well-being of Tim Murphy at heart would think long and hard as to whether Tim's best interests were served by publishing the items in question.

This opinion has nothing to do with your right to publish, since you apparently have Tim's consent, it has all to do with good judgement or lack of it.

Unread 05-23-2007, 05:18 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Quince, get off my case. I am known as bird dog, self described, at a number of publications of repute. This is not self-aggrandizement but the reverse. The return of favors shown me by my seniors in the art. I can't do anything for Red Warren or Tony Hecht, but I can certainly help younger poets. You should be ashamed of your comment.
Closed Thread