Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-30-2006, 07:07 PM

Come under the umbrella! The inaugural edition of Umbrella: A Journal of Poetry and Kindred Prose is right here:

http://www.umbrellajournal.com/

Eratosphereans feature prominently in either the main journal or the 'zine (Bumbershoot): Mark Allinson, Peter Bloxsom, Catherine Chandler-Oliveira, Maryann Corbett, Rachel Dacus, Diane Dees, Anna Evans, Katy Evans-Bush, Jerry Glenn Hartwig, David W. Landrum, Ralph La Rosa (RCL), Rob A. McKenzie (featured poet), Susan McLean, Timothy Murphy (featured prose), Robert Schechter (Roger Slater), Washington Snow (Lightning Bug), Henry Quince, Carol Taylor, Richard Wakefield. Some of those folks also contributed to Bumbershoot's "Tailgaters" feature, along with Michael Cantor, Chris Childers, M. A. Griffiths (maz), Jan D. Hodge, Rose Kelleher, Frank Osen, Marion Shore, Julie Stoner ... and if I've left anyone out, please forgive me and chalk it up to EDF (editor's deadline fatigue).

That sounds almost clubby, doesn't it?--In fact, though, some of these Eratosphereans don't post their work here very frequently and I wasn't acquainted with it. And wait till you see the wonderful things written by "non-Eratospherans" like Lana Hechtman Ayers, Traci Brimhall, Jehanne Dubrow, Kathleen Flenniken, Judith Kerman, Ann E. Michael, James R. Whitley, Gary Charles Wilkens, and Susan Settlemyre Williams.

Peter Bloxsom created stylesheets and templates and coached me with saintly patience in content management. Applause, applause: he has been indispensable to Umbrella's launch and is listed on the masthead as Technical Consultant.

I am overjoyed to tell you about that masthead! Carol Taylor has joined the staff as Contributing Editor, Light Verse and Rachel Dacus as Contributing Editor, Poetry.

These last few months have been intensely rewarding. Submissions were of a high caliber and interacting with Umbrella's contributors was a joy.

I hope you enjoy the issue.

Unread 11-30-2006, 07:13 PM

Congratulations, Kate, and thanks for the great opportunity that your journal gives to so many poets and prose writers.
So many poems, and so many people whose work I've admired in other places!

And what fun to see photographs of so many Sphereans!

Best,
Maryann
Unread 11-30-2006, 09:18 PM

Congratulations on a great first issue, Kate. I am enjoying the work of our fine Spherians represented there, as well as that of ...those others. I was particularly moved by Jehanne Dubrow's pieces.

As to my own offering, it all makes me feel I've made a circuit. You see, that is not only my earliest piece, but it's the first piece I ever posted on a poetry workshop - a beginners' board it turned out, called Red Pencil. The first person who critiqued it was a young man named Gary Charles Wilkens(he liked it), whom I have not seen on the Net since Pencil's sad demise. But, upon opening the Umbrella, there he is, and has done well for himself, pub-wise.

So, good going, Gary. I bet Pencil would be proud of all your success, and of both of us for getting in this swell journal.

Unread 11-30-2006, 11:15 PM

Congratulations Kate, and to all the published poets and to Peter Bloxsom whom I already knew as a great webmaster and designer, and also congratulations to all those who created the visuals, especially Henry Quince's tremendous masthead design.
Deep and interesting reading.
Janet

Unread 12-01-2006, 12:29 AM

What a handsome, lovingly edited, and all-over splendiferous debut! Congratulations, Kate and all. It's a winner!
Unread 12-01-2006, 03:20 AM

Congratulations to all--Kate, the contributors, etc.!
Unread 12-01-2006, 10:57 AM

Looks great! I've only just started reading it, but I like what I've seen so far. Congrats all around.

I love the soft forest green.
Unread 12-01-2006, 12:23 PM

Kudos, Kate! And to your amazing staff and worthy contributors. A stellar start!

Cheers,

------------------
Ralph
Unread 12-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Kate

I'm a harsh audience, but your first issue has really impressed me. Generally, in any collection of poetry, I find one or two pieces I really like and dismiss the rest. You've presented me with quite a few new poets (new to me) whom I've warmed to quite quickly. As well as a couple of old ones, too.

Thsnk you.
Unread 12-03-2006, 07:01 AM

Thanks, Kate, for launching this venture. I got a real kick seeing my stuff so beautifully presented among so much fine work that I can be proud to have made the cut. And it was a pleasure working with you, as well. Good going!